Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu restarts frequently

Beans

Re: Lubuntu restarts frequently

Alright, I've installed strings and will have a go at it a little later.

Yeah, school was useful for getting the basics down, but there is definitely a lot I still need to learn. I will have to check out that book, I actually really like working through textbooks.

At the moment, I'm not seeing anything that looks super serious, but like I said above, I'll give strings a go and see what I come up with. If not, I'll probably wait until the next confirmed crash to see what I can come up with when I have a better timeframe to look at when browsing the logs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Everything I know I've had to teach myself
    One gets little more than an introduction to anything in school. Some folks never got that introduction in school; many are self-taught. It is what you do afterwards and in which direction you choose that will make you what you will someday become.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Alright, so I have potentially good news, as well as some less so good news.

After some digging, I believe the issue was TeamViewer. I'm still not really sure why, but it seems to be the most consistent thing in / around my crashes so I went in and disabled it. Since then, the server seems content to run without crashing much more smoothly.

As I haven't had time to look into tigervnc or an equivalent, I decided to go the route of disabling both lighten and TeamViewer when I'm not needing a GUI, with the intent to start both back up temporarily as needed.

I've now discovered that disabling lighten was not such a good idea. I was able to disable it, but when I try to run
    Code:
    sudo systemctl enable lightdm.service
    I get the following message.
    Code:
    Synchronizing state of lightdm.service with SysV service script with /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install.
    Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install enable lightdm
    The unit files have no installation config (WantedBy, RequiredBy, Also, Alias
    settings in the [Install] section, and DefaultInstance for template units).
    This means they are not meant to be enabled using systemctl.
    Possible reasons for having this kind of units are:
    1) A unit may be statically enabled by being symlinked from another unit's
       .wants/ or .requires/ directory.
    2) A unit's purpose may be to act as a helper for some other unit which has
       a requirement dependency on it.
    3) A unit may be started when needed via activation (socket, path, timer,
       D-Bus, udev, scripted systemctl call, ...).
    4) In case of template units, the unit is meant to be enabled with some
       instance name specified.
    This looks to me like it's failing to enable it. I am also unable to get TeamViewer restarted, following the guide on http://www.tonisoto.com/2013/07/laun...-throught-ssh/. Specifically, the command
    Code:
    TeamViewer start teamviewer
    gives me the following:
    Code:
    Init...
    xprop:  unable to open display ''
    CheckCPU: SSE2 support: yes
    Checking setup...
    Launching TeamViewer ...
    Launching TeamViewer GUI ...

bash: [2443: 1 (255)] tcsetattr: Inappropriate ioctl for device
    So it appears that I've resolved my original issue, only to create a new one for myself. At this point, i assume I should probably create a new thread as the issue in question is no longer the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12