Thread: Problem installing a windows .exe file

Beans

Problem installing a windows .exe file

When trying to install a Windows .exe file I right click it, choose Open With Other Application and then select Wine from the options listed.
    Wine installs but it is never listed as an application to use to open the .exe.
    How do I use it as the application to open the .exe?
    Last edited by oldos2er; April 29th, 2019 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Thread moved to Wine.

Beans

Re: Problem installing a windows .exe file

How do I use it as the application to open the .exe?
    Wine itself doesn't have a GUI to launch applications. You need to make a command to launch it. The command then can be used from the terminal, or to create a program launcher. The pattern is:

wine path-to-exe-file

The wine package installed from the repos installs programs somewhere in the folder ~/.wine/drive_c/

Here is an example of a command to launch a program:
    Code:
    wine /home/dmn/.wine/drive_c/'Program Files (x86)'/'Parsons Technology'/'Family Origins'/FOWin32.exe
    Linux doesn't like spaces in the path, so you put quotes around any folder name in the path containing a space.
    For Ubuntu, if you want to create a launcher with an icon that will appear in the applications menu or activities screen search, you make a .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications for your program. A menu editor can be used for this. Sometimes, the installation process also makes a menu launcher, but don't count on it.
    Last edited by Dennis N; April 29th, 2019 at 08:48 PM.

Beans

Are you saying I need to put the .exe file in (in my case) /home/earl/.wine/drive_c/ ?
    I am trying to run the install.exe on a DVD that contains the files needed by install.exe.
    This has worked in the past by just installing wine from Ubuntu Software and then right-clicking the install.exe and selecting wine as the application to open it.
    I no longer get the option to select wine as the application to open it, Archive Manager is the only selection available.

Beans

Dennis N, I tried your first example of wine path-to-exe and see what you mean by the .wine/drive_c/ notation.
    The first thing I got was a message saying wine was creating those directories.
    After that things went as expected...the install.exe executed and the program was installed successfully .