Thread: editing a text file automatically

Beans

editing a text file automatically

Hello Ubuntu Folks

I am looking to edit a text file using sed or whatever method works to make the following changes:

Original:
    Code:
    Chromosome      ena     CDS     153     1535    .       +       0       transcript_name "transcript:AAS13770";  gene_id "gene:WD_0001"; gene_name "dnaA";
    Chromosome      ena     exon    3028    3115    .       +       .       transcript_name "transcript:WD_tRNA-Leu-1-1"; gene_id "gene:WD_tRNA-Leu-1"; gene_name "WD_tRNA-Leu-1";
    New:
    Code:
    Chromosome      ena     CDS     153     1535    .       +       0       transcript_id "transcript:AAS13770"; transcript_name "transcript:AAS13770"; gene_id "gene:WD_0001"; gene_name "dnaA";
    Chromosome      ena     exon    3028    3115    .       +       .       transcript id transcript:WD_tRNA-Leu-1-1"; transcript_name "transcript:WD_tRNA-Leu-1-1"; gene_id "gene:WD_tRNA-Leu-1"; gene_name "WD_tRNA-Leu-1";
    Essentially I would like to take the transcript_name ("transcript:AAS13770"), add a new field before with transcript_id and paste the transcript name after this ending with a semi colon and continue this for every line.

Does anyone have any idea how to do this? I'm looking at sed but I cannot get my head around it. sorry to be a pain.

Best wishes,

Lewis

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: editing a text file automatically

This command seems to do what you describe:
    Code:
    sed 's/\(transcript_name[^"]*\)\("[^"]*"\)/transcript_id \2; \1\2/' transcript.in
    When you are confident that it is doing what you want, you can update the file by using the --in-place option:
    Code:
    sed --in-place 's/\(transcript_name[^"]*\)\("[^"]*"\)/transcript_id \2; \1\2/' transcript.in
    Here's a short explanation in case you need to tweak the expressions a bit.

• The first set of capture parentheses \(\) match transcript_name plus any following characters up to but not including the first double-quote.
    • This is assigned to the \1 variable.
    • The second set of capture parentheses match everything between the following double-quote and its closing double-quote, including the enclosing double-quotes.
    • This is assigned to the \2 variable.
    • Replace all that (\1 followed by \2) with /transcript_id \2; \1\2/ which I hope is self-explanatory given the above.
    Last edited by spjackson; April 30th, 2019 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Added an explanation

Beans

Just to suggest additional methods, good-old fashioned 'awk' can do this quite well too:

awk '{print $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, 6, $7, $8, " transcript_id", $10, $9, $11, $12, $13, $14}' in.txt > out.txt

where $1 means first field, etc. Actually I think a python script would be clearer for any long-term usage, using 'split()' to read the fields, but it depends how much work you want to do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by xadder View Post
    Just to suggest additional methods, good-old fashioned 'awk' can do this quite well too:

awk '{print $1, $2, $3, $4, $5, 6, $7, $8, " transcript_id", $10, $9, $11, $12, $13, $14}' in.txt > out.txt

where $1 means first field, etc. Actually I think a python script would be clearer for any long-term usage, using 'split()' to read the fields, but it depends how much work you want to do.
    $10 needs repeating after $9 as well as appearing before it, but otherwise, this may suffice. This awk solution assumes that it is OK to reduce all the spaces between fields to a single space. That may be OK, I don't know. It also assumes that there are no spaces within the double-quoted fields. This is true for the example given but may not be true more generally, I don't know.

The sed solution given above transposes the input given by the OP to the exact example output given and would work if any double-quoted fields contained spaces (but not escaped double-quotes).