Thread: Steam downloads fluctuating but downloads on Firefox stable

Beans

Steam downloads fluctuating but downloads on Firefox stable

The steam client recently has been constantly fluctuating on Ubuntu and/other Linux systems I've followed some guides online on the systems wiki page and tried dnsmasq which solved the issue for a number of users however the downloads on steam are not stable it should stay in the Mbps but it keeps jumping from 1.3Mbps down to 350Kbps and keeps fluctuating is there any way to stabilize the net speed on steam? All I want is for it to stay in the Mbps but it won't. On my Browser when I download it stays in the actual Mbps but on steam the downloads fluctuate. Can anybody help me?

Beans

Re: Steam downloads fluctuating but downloads on Firefox stable

Found that disabling IPv6 system-wide makes the steam downloads stable it seems when Netflix isn't in use that the speed now stays in the Mbps and when Netflix is in use the speed stays 750Kbps-1Mbps so I'm happy.

Edit: Not solved steam still fluctuates even when changing download mirror in the settings. Any help? Steam on Windows 10 even when people are lets say watching Netflix stays in the Mbps but not on Ubuntu how can I replicate this but for Ubuntu?
    Last edited by ImpWarfare; April 29th, 2019 at 08:11 PM.