Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow booting of Ubuntu?

Beans

Slow booting of Ubuntu?

Hi guys, I'm new to Ubuntu so my experience is limited I'm afraid. I've got an asus x550ep latptop amd quadcore 4gb ram and rather unfortunatley 1.5 ghz processor.....its not the best lol but it functions well for basic things as I'm not doing anything major on it.
    I just went down from 4 static work spaces down to 1 which has made a difference from the time i log in to graphical interface which is great.....however from the time i power on TO the login in window seems like forever. ( when i say forever i mean it actually feels like more than a minute ) I don't believe it should take that long so when i systemd-analyze blame i get the following :

Code:
    20.747s systemd-journal-flush.service
              19.003s dev-sda2.device
              13.385s systemd-sysctl.service
              12.162s snap-gnome\x2dcalculator-352.mount
              11.758s plymouth-quit-wait.service
              11.162s snap-core-6673.mount
              11.098s snap-gnome\x2d3\x2d28\x2d1804-23.mount
              11.089s snap-gnome\x2d3\x2d26\x2d1604-82.mount
              11.087s snap-gnome\x2dcalculator-260.mount
              11.052s snap-gnome\x2dlogs-45.mount
              11.048s snap-gtk\x2dcommon\x2dthemes-818.mount
              11.029s snap-gnome\x2dsystem\x2dmonitor-57.mount
              11.015s snap-gnome\x2dlogs-61.mount
              10.969s systemd-udevd.service
              10.926s snap-core18-941.mount
              10.874s snap-gnome\x2d3\x2d26\x2d1604-74.mount
              10.847s snap-gnome\x2dsystem\x2dmonitor-70.mount
              10.829s snap-gnome\x2dcalculator-406.mount

10.805s snap-gnome\x2dsystem\x2dmonitor-77.mount
    I also just ran systemd-analyze ciritical chain and i got the following:

Code:
    graphical.target @48.614s
    └─multi-user.target @48.613s
      └─systemd-user-sessions.service @36.824s +9ms
        └─network.target @29.559s
          └─NetworkManager.service @26.147s +3.411s
            └─dbus.service @26.119s
              └─basic.target @26.072s
                └─sockets.target @26.072s
                  └─snapd.socket @26.027s +44ms
                    └─sysinit.target @26.026s
                      └─systemd-update-utmp.service @25.950s +75ms
                        └─systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service @25.704s +243ms
                          └─systemd-journal-flush.service @4.954s +20.747s
                            └─systemd-remount-fs.service @3.982s +968ms
                              └─systemd-journald.socket @3.870s
                                └─system.slice @3.870s
    I can't tell from that if anything is out of the ordinary. Can you guys help?

Can i make the boot up quicker? If so how?

Thanks in advance for your patience and help
    Last edited by oldfred; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:22 PM. Reason: Please use code tags, # in advanced editor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Slow booting of Ubuntu?

Post moved to it's own thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

What version of 'buntu are you running?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You may need UEFI/BIOS update (Which you should do anyway) or boot parameter.

Asus x541ua Update of UEFI & SSD firmware solved issues
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2414431
    How to install Ubuntu on ASUS F556U, JournalError error? add pci=nomsi
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1079...081221#1081221
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Snaps are known to be slow on boot. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1051...t-due-to-snapd I think they solved it, but don't know which version of the snap subsystem has the fix. Don't know if it made it into 19.04.

I know you don't need snaps to have a working system. The same programs are available with out snaps. Just install them using the normal package management and remove the snap package. I've removed all snaps off my 16.04 desktops. I don't use Gnome, so removing those will bring a drastic change if you don't get the non-snap version installed. You could be looking at a text screen, no graphics, no mouse, afterwards. Someone new to Linux might prefer to live with the issue for a few more months until the fix makes it out.

On low-end systems with limited RAM, removing the snapd subsystem is probably the best solution anyway due to the way snaps are designed to work.

The best way to speed up a system like this is to use SSD storage, if you haven't done that already.

I've had boots take over 5 minutes on a UEFI system, before going after some startup fixes. Got it down to 25s now on that machine.

It would be helpful to see the output wrapped in code tags. The indentation conveys some information which is lost.
    Last edited by TheFu; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:07 PM. Reason: s/do/due/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some info on your large time:
    systemd-journal-flush.service @4.954s +20.747s

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1094...-flush-service
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

sorry guys. I'm running ubuntu 18.04.2 Lts, I'm pretty sure it's bionic beaver. I recently flashed a new bios a few weeks ago by the way so my bios is current too.

I just ran sudo apt purge snapd and re installed. I'll reboot and see whats what. Who knows.....it might have done the trick

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Snaps are known to be slow on boot. https://askubuntu.com/questions/1051...t-due-to-snapd I think they solved it, but don't know which version of the snap subsystem has the fix. Don't know if it made it into 19.04.

I know you don't need snaps to have a working system. The same programs are available with out snaps. Just install them using the normal package management and remove the snap package. I've removed all snaps off my 16.04 desktops. I don't use Gnome, so removing those will bring a drastic change if you don't get the non-snap version installed. You could be looking at a text screen, no graphics, no mouse, afterwards. Someone new to Linux might prefer to live with the issue for a few more months until the fix makes it out.

On low-end systems with limited RAM, this is probably the best solution anyway do to the way snaps are designed to work.

The best way to speed up a system like this is to use SSD storage. If you haven't done that already.

I've had boots take over 5 minutes on a UEFI system, before going after some startup fixes. Got it down to 25s now on that machine.

It would be helpful to see the output wrapped in code tags. The indentation conveys some information which is lost.
    Your not the first person to suggest that my friend, unless i get more ram on this thing, i might have to seriously consider your suggestion.

Hi again. I just followed the advice in https://askubuntu.com/questions/1051...t-due-to-snapd Although i didn't get the proposed repo option in developer options like the advice in the link suggested, i updated anyway and there is a difference. Now i'd like to ask you guys, Is what I've done i.e, systemd-analyze blame and systemd-analyze critical chain the best way to check for boot up time? Or is there another way of looking at boot times? Sorry....Thank you very much for reading and replying by the way. I appreciate it!
    In any case, I'm still thinking of editing grub configuration because i do believe that somewhere in there is a unnecessary long timeout of some kind or a delay of some kind. I still think i can get a slightly more quicker boot up time than what i have.

Beyond that I'll have to throw some more ram on this thing or do as TheFu suggested and run Ubuntu from text instead of graphical interface
    Last edited by howefield; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:10 PM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by swangnation View Post

Beyond that I'll have to throw some more ram on this thing or do as TheFu suggested and run Ubuntu from text instead of graphical interface
    Did that "proposed" snapd solution work or not? It isn't clear.

I didn't suggest running in text-only mode, at least that wasn't my intention. If you are new to Linux, that would probably turn your computer into a doorstop. Most people need a GUI to do 99% of what they want a desktop.

I suggested installing gnome-desktop using the normal package manager, then removing the gnome parts inside snaps with snap remove. The order matters. I don't know if this works or not. It could leave the system in a bad situation where reloading is the only option. Don't do it without having good backups for anything you cannot lose.

I would expect that removing each of the installed snaps BEFORE removing the snapd subsystem would be necessary. Before that, installing the non-snap version of the packages using apt or synaptic or apt-get or aptitude is probably what you want. This is all guessing.

Be certain you have backups.
    Last edited by TheFu; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Personally, I do not believe that any more RAM is going to quicken your boot times: 4 gigs should be fine. You may want to consider trying Xubuntu which is a much lighter desktop and will boot quicker than Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I'm running 18.04 on a fairly old laptop (bought about 7 years ago) with 4GB of RAM. Booting and startup to get to the desktop is pretty slow, but I was expecting that. This is a laptop I use for test purposes, so I don't mind the extra seconds (maybe minute or two) until I am at the desktop.

But if you need something for work or general purposes then go with something lighter and more suited for low end equipment.

Autodave made a good suggestion.

Here are some more options: https://fossbytes.com/best-lightweight-linux-distros/

I suggest giving Ubuntu MATE a try.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast