Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow booting of Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: Slow booting of Ubuntu?

My apologies oldfred, this laptop doesn't have uefi however i do have the current bios version and as for upgrading ssd firmware? i wouldn't have the faintest idea of how to upgrade if indeed there is an upgrade available. I will have a look shortly and also look at the links you posted previously as well.

I just tried "quiet splash pci=nomsi" and it doesn't work, all it did was add a blank black screen for 2 seconds right before the blank purple screen which just hangs there for forever.
    Last edited by swangnation; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You posted UEFI boot entries before, so system must be UEFI.
    This only shows UEFI boot entries:
    sudo efibootmgr -v

I did not think you set colors in /etc/default/grub but in /etc/grub.d/05-debian_theme?
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...nu_Font_Colors

Does your sudo update-grub work or does it give an error or did it create grub.cfg.new as error file ?
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been lost on a few of these posts because the command used with the options used isn't included. Please
    a) show the command, options AND output.
    b) use code tags, so it looks the same here, as it does on a terminal. Spacing/indentation helps. We are used to seeing that stuff. ANYTHING you are looking at inside a terminal should be shown here with code tags.

Please.
    Last edited by TheFu; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to use Code tags, # in advanced editor
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12776168
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12776168
    http://www.bbcode.org/reference.php
    If using Quick Reply then I use quote tag (right most icon) & edit quote to code.
    Last edited by oldfred; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:55 PM.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Sorry guys, your right i haven't been showing input and output. I will do so and will use code tags as well where necessary.

Oldfred, the answer to your questions is yes.. when i sudo gedit /default/grub yesterday and changed "quiet splash" to "quiet splash pci=nomsi" i got the following output
    WARNING **: 08:05:12.386: Set document metadata failed: Setting attribute metadata::gedit-position not supported

However....it did save because i checked it again before rebooting and as i explained before, all it did was add another blank black screen for 2 seconds before going to the purple screen again. I did not actually update grub because i assume in saving, it did that automatically hence the warning message above.

As for setting the colours, i did not get any option at all for setting colours originally when starting up ubuntu for the first time.

When i run ls /sys/firmware/efi/ i get the following : config_table efivars fw_platform_size fw_vendor runtime runtime-map systab vars, apparently according to what ISN'T there, my system is bios. It's all getting a bit confusing now.

Another thing i saw before i began using Ubuntu, when getting my bios update zip from AMD was that for my laptop X552E, there were 2 variants. X552EA and X552EP. I can't tell which one mine is because at the bottom of the laptop it just says X552E. At the time when i looked at both update zips, they looked identical so i simply chose the slightly bigger file, downloaded it and followed the install instructions. I suppose i shouldn't say they ARE identical because one zip was bigger than the other but in the window where it shows you what changes there are......they were exactly the same. Now I'm really starting to wonder if i actually have the right bios but i simply cannot tell which variant i actually have.

Out of curiosity, will it help to have a look at my bios and post what options are switched on and off? if so...what areas of the bios should i be looking at? To hell with it, I'll do it anyway as it's not going to hurt.

I've taken pictures of my bios screens so if you guys want to look at anything let me know and i will post it. I've got a total of 8 pictures and i don't think i can post them all.
    Last edited by swangnation; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:17 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There are multiple grub files that you can edit. So you have to run this to update your grub menu.
    sudo update-grub

So not sure if you included your boot parameter in a boot or not. Best just to manually add it when booting as a test. Then if it works, you know you can permanently add it to grub's configuration file.

Almost all systems since 2012 are UEFI as Microsoft has required them to install Windows in UEFI mode. But many vendors still call it BIOS as they assume users might be confused with the change to UEFI.

It looks like your system X552E has two different motherboards and that is the difference with which UEFI/BIOS you need.
    Does this show motherboard? or change 10 to a few more lines if needed.
    sudo lshw | grep -m 1 -A 10 "product"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    There are multiple grub files that you can edit. So you have to run this to update your grub menu.
    sudo update-grub

So not sure if you included your boot parameter in a boot or not. Best just to manually add it when booting as a test. Then if it works, you know you can permanently add it to grub's configuration file.

Almost all systems since 2012 are UEFI as Microsoft has required them to install Windows in UEFI mode. But many vendors still call it BIOS as they assume users might be confused with the change to UEFI.

It looks like your system X552E has two different motherboards and that is the difference with which UEFI/BIOS you need.
    Ok. when i run sudo lshw | grep -m 1 -A 10 "product" i get the following output :

Code:
    product: X550EP (ASUS-NotebookSKU)
        vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
        version: 1.0
        serial: DBN0CV13723645B
        width: 64 bits
        capabilities: smbios-2.7 dmi-2.7 smp vsyscall32
        configuration: boot=normal chassis=notebook family=X sku=ASUS-NotebookSKU uuid=700B4F03-CE7B-F581-3268-BCEE7B0A9C14
      *-core
           description: Motherboard
           product: X550EP
           vendor: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    and when i run sudo dmidecode -t 0 i get the following output :

Code:
    # dmidecode 3.1
    Getting SMBIOS data from sysfs.
    SMBIOS 2.7 present.

Handle 0x0000, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
    BIOS Information
        Vendor: American Megatrends Inc.
        Version: X550EP.303
        Release Date: 03/13/2014
        Address: 0xF0000
        Runtime Size: 64 kB
        ROM Size: 4096 kB
        Characteristics:
            PCI is supported
            BIOS is upgradeable
            BIOS shadowing is allowed
            Boot from CD is supported
            Selectable boot is supported
            EDD is supported
            5.25"/1.2 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
            3.5"/720 kB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
            3.5"/2.88 MB floppy services are supported (int 13h)
            Print screen service is supported (int 5h)
            8042 keyboard services are supported (int 9h)
            Serial services are supported (int 14h)
            Printer services are supported (int 17h)
            ACPI is supported
            USB legacy is supported
            Smart battery is supported
            BIOS boot specification is supported
            Targeted content distribution is supported
            UEFI is supported
        BIOS Revision: 4.6
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by oldfred; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:18 AM. Reason: Please use code tags, # in advanced editor

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This shows you have the EP version:

And BIOS version:

Beans

This shows you have the EP version:

And BIOS version:
    As it turns out I've got the correct bios after all. Just wondering if efi boot manager will help get this thing booted up quicker?

Beans

sudo update-grub

"quiet splash pci=nomsi" is not a boot parameter?

Which grub files can i edit? how do i edit them?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast