Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What computer treasures have you found outside of the major stores?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: What computer treasures have you found outside of the major stores?

I found old hardware that was usable but only with such systems like FreeDOS or MINIX. computeres that old it still has floppy discs and no USB ports are very hard to find. people still sells old computers like amgias or systems that run DOS but if you are lucky you can find them at second hand stores.

I found keyboards mouses computer screens old TVs DVD and CD players and basically all sorts of things that are getting a little old and people just give it to second hand stores. all my electronics are bought second hand. other than the audio recording equipment I own at least.

last time I was lucky to find something I found a external, USB hardrive with 500 gigabyte storare capacity and it needs a powersupply to work but I got it for fifty kr which is 50.00 DKK = 7.41 USD according to a online currency converter. the harddrive had some personal files on it that I deleted by formatting the drive and I use it to store back ups on but I have several USB sticks and external harddrives so I always have two identical back ups.

my televison set is second hand at the ropice of 300 DKK. along with my stereo . it has amplifier CD player and two minidisc players. a couple of BW loudpspeakers I got for free. it cost under 200 DKK.
    I just got a DVD player for 80 DKK. works but sound is not very good on it. I will find a new one but it works and the remove control was included. usually people get rid of old electronics because the remote is missing or something else is wrong with it but it still works so they give it away thinking someone else might use it.

there are lots of old routers and switches and cables and I often find totally new DVDs. I got 200 DVD - r that cost 30 DKK for 50 discs and they where not even opened yet. its because newer computers do not come with DVDD drive and people don't really use DVD burners as much anymore and the movies or music they watch they keep on USB sticks or just on the hard drive and buy it from online sources or watch on youtube for free.

I admit its a long time since I seen a working computer in a second hand store but people give those away or throw them out and without deleting the harddrives and the powersupply can be missing .

there is lots of old movies and CDs I buy pretty cheap. 2 DKK per movie or CD or something like that. I found willie nelson cash folosom prison blues just last month and lots of great movies. the first two Star Wars movies that someone gave away and not even opening them so they where new. same with The Amazing spiderman.

so what I do is buy sixteen movies and go home and watch them. the ones I remember I seen before and they have no problems with playback I will keep and the ones I have not seen and I like I will keep the rest I just give away to one of my friends that can sell them for 2 DKK .

if you compare to the times when you could rent movies it was usually 50 DKK for 24 hours per movie.

you can books and games for PC and stuff like that as well.

almost everything I own comes from second hand stores or I buy second hand stuff from others . its only shoes and underwear I do not get second hand and its furniture and clothes and whatever I find interesting I get from second hand stores. I found a guitar last month as well just put new strings on it and it works just fine,.

when I do buy new stuff its something like my zoom h1n audio recorder. I think it was so cheap I might as well get it from new and its usable for lots of things.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poorguy View Post
    I agree and if one is willing to search the many ads of many pages one can find superb bargains.
    It's a shame so many people think their obsolete junk is worth loads of money on ebay. But I think it's partially ebays fault for such high seller fees and postage fees people put the prices higher even if it's pickup only to cover the cost of what ebay takes.

Now they hit you twice taking a cut of the postage cost and the final value cost. So you've got what you think your item is worth, but if you want to get all that amount you have add the % from ebays fee which ups the price and overcharge the postage to get paid what you're owed or you put the item free postage, but raise the item price even more. Oh and don't forget. Paypal takes its cut too.

Doesn't trigger me at all

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

just t found a 40 gigabyte external hard drive. 50 DKK is a okay price for it. USB sticks are not really that expensive anymore but 50 is okay I guess. 40 gigabytes hard drive is not that much but still extra storage .

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

someone just gifted me a older macbook pro . its a person on a online forum I use that just asked me if I wanted it and I said yes so its coming with the mail one of these days. I also got a ibanez stomp box for my guitar one time that someone just send me. its nice when people does that. they take time to post things and send them and ask for nothing in return to a stranger they met online and is actually pretty amazing but it happens once in a while. I am getting a older lap top from one of my family memebers as well so this month I can only say I found a brandnew DVD player that never been used for only 100 kr at the thrift store. the rest is gifted .

Beans

An X220 from a business I used to work at. They were running Windows 10 systems and I guess it didn't cut the mustard. A rather excellent machine.

Beans

deleted - duplicate
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wolftrax View Post
    just t found a 40 gigabyte external hard drive. 50 DKK is a okay price for it. USB sticks are not really that expensive anymore but 50 is okay I guess. 40 gigabytes hard drive is not that much but still extra storage .
    I dunno. I just bought a 128 GB SD card from Amazon for $20 to expand the storage in a tablet. If your computer has an SD slot, that's a lot of storage for a pretty low price.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This week has been a pretty good score for me. I'm calling myself the Goodwill king right now.

Sunday, Netgear N900 WNDR4500 router. Whoever tossed it thought it was busted. Took me all of 10 minutes to figure out the problem, reflash it and away I went. Major upgrade here in the house. 10 bucks.
    Tuesday, Complete Roku 4. Even the batteries in the remote were still good. Took it home, everything works flawlessly. Did a full factory reset and it is now in my master bedroom for the wife (disney+ / hulu / amazon). 7 bucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    This week has been a pretty good score for me. I'm calling myself the Goodwill king right now.

Sunday, Netgear N900 WNDR4500 router. Whoever tossed it thought it was busted. Took me all of 10 minutes to figure out the problem, reflash it and away I went. Major upgrade here in the house. 10 bucks.
    Tuesday, Complete Roku 4. Even the batteries in the remote were still good. Took it home, everything works flawlessly. Did a full factory reset and it is now in my master bedroom for the wife (disney+ / hulu / amazon). 7 bucks.
    Score! Congrats!
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Speaking of getting a great deal on computer parts...

Has anyone purchased anything from this place: https://discountcomputerdepot.com/ ?

Curious how their customer service is.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast