Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What computer treasures have you found outside of the major stores?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: What computer treasures have you found outside of the major stores?

There are no thrift stores for miles around here with used computers or parts. I have picked up bargains on craigslist though. My wife found a great deal on an 8 core AMD FX system on craigslist. We got the system for $100.00! The guy couldn't sell it because the case looked like junk! I could have cared less because I had a used gaming case sitting around to reassemble it in. Ebay is another great place to get a bargain! My desktop has all the bells and whistles and many of it's parts were found on ebay.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    Ebay is another great place to get a bargain! My desktop has all the bells and whistles and many of it's parts were found on ebay.
    I agree and if one is willing to search the many ads of many pages one can find superb bargains.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

All of my excess, serviceable textiles, furniture, books, electronics, peripherals, network devices, and computers go to the local Goodwill Store. I don't know what happens to them after that.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by thenailedone View Post
    I have seen some EVE online players utilize about that many screens when playing the game. Could have been a good time for you to try it out
    Of 17" CRT's? Can you imagine?

Big ol' 1.5" off white bezels. All running 640x480 resolution on my 3dfx Voodoo 3... Listening to them click through graphics modes every time I start up the game...

How much power would that take? How could you stack them correctly? Did Windows even have multi-monitor support back then? This was definitely my pre-Ubuntu days. This would have definitely given my Pentium 200MMX a run for it's money.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

My best treasure find was 2 years ago; a dual-core AT tower in working condition sitting next to a dumpster. The video card was too ancient to be supported by any current OS, but a quick swap and it is still running Ubuntu today. Hard to beat free!
    Last edited by MoebusNet; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12