Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 31

Thread: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    19

    Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    After installing kubuntu, I couldn't log into it, but windows kept working fine.

    Then I managed to fix this by using boot repair disk's recommended method.

    But I feel things are still kinda weird. Heres my paste.bin link:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/VtjvSKdZRF/


    Windows boot got a lot slower after fixing kubuntu, feels like grub redirects me back to mbr, and not directly to windows's bootloader. (I get lenovo's splash screen a second time, before getting to windows) (correct me if I'm wrong about this, please)

    Is there a way to fix this? Going through the paste.bin data I saw that grub is present both in sda1 (which is mbr's partition right?) and on sda3, which's windows main partition (in addition to kubuntu's main partition, sda6). Is it the correct way things should be?

    Sorry, for any dumb questions, I'm quite new to linux. Thank you for the answers!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Beans
    5,510

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    You neglected to indicate which version of windows you are using. The boot repair output shows that you have windows code for windows 7 in the MBR of that disk. sda1 is an EFI partition which has the correct files for both windows and Ubuntu. sda4 and sda5 show as windows 8 so which is it? Also, on sda3, boot repair shows Grub files. This is an ntfs (windows) filesystem partition and Grub should never be installed there.

    The drive is GPT so you need UEFI for windows to work on it. Go into the BIOS and make sure Legacy/CSM is disabled. This might help but may not be the problem. Were you able to make the change suggested at the end of boot repair?

    please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!
    I saw that grub is present both in sda1 (which is mbr's partition right?) and on sda3, which's windows main partition (in addition to kubuntu's main partition, sda6).
    sda1 os not the MBR partition, nothing like that exists. It is the EFI partition and Grub files should be there as well as on the Kubuntu partition (sda6) but never on a windows partition.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    19

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    You neglected to indicate which version of windows you are using.
    Ops sorry, it's windows 10.

    Partition is like this:

    sda1 - UEFI
    sda2 - Windows reserved
    sda3 - 100gb for windows 10
    sda4 - 25gb of lenovo recovery stuff (didnt take it out due to warranty)
    sda5 - 1gb winre
    sda6 - 40gb kubuntu's root
    sda7 - ~800gb /home

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    The drive is GPT so you need UEFI for windows to work on it. Go into the BIOS and make sure Legacy/CSM is disabled.
    I enabled legacy boot for it was easier to boot in USB drive this way, but boot repair advised me to disable it before running the fix, and so I did.
    So legacy boot is already disabled

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Also, on sda3, boot repair shows Grub files. This is an ntfs (windows) filesystem partition and Grub should never be installed there.
    So how do I take GRUB away from windows partition?

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Were you able to make the change suggested at the end of boot repair?
    Will have to check on how to get this done. will this disable grub in sda3?


    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    sda1 os not the MBR partition, nothing like that exists. It is the EFI partition and Grub files should be there as well as on the Kubuntu partition (sda6) but never on a windows partition.
    Thanks for the info
    Last edited by leoszt; April 20th, 2019 at 08:52 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Beans
    5,510

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    So how do I take GRUB away from windows partition?
    I'm not sure but you could simply try deleting the grub files there. Problems with this is your standard windows boot files don't show on the windows system partition so I'm not sure if they are still there and not seen or if they have been overwritten. You might wait until someone with specific knowledge/experience with this situation posts.

    please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sda1/EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi file!
    You would have to access your BIOS and look for boot priority settings which vary with manufacturer

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    19

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    Sorry if I'm mistaken, but isn't UEFI a substitute for the BIOS?

    By BIOS you mean the screen that fires up after smashing F2 or F12, Fsomething, during startup?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    19

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy



    here's my bios boot sequence, looks like it's right, right?
    Last edited by leoszt; April 24th, 2019 at 03:13 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    I am surprised Windows boots at all. You cannot have grub in the partition boot sector (PBR or BS) of a NTFS partition.

    You want to get to this screen:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestD...ector_recovery
    select [Advanced] instead of [Analyze] and select [BackupBS]
    [HowTo] Repair the bootsector of a Windows partition - YannBuntu
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootSectorFix
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1926510
    Also check for /boot/grub in addition to /Boot
    Since ntfs partitions are case insensitive this leads to confusions between "/boot" and the already existing folder "/Boot"
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ore_On_Windows
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Beans
    5,510

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    Sorry if I'm mistaken, but isn't UEFI a substitute for the BIOS?
    No. Look at the image you posted which contains EFI settings but many more settings unrelated to EFI. Different systems use different keys but F2 is a common key to access BIOS Setup.

    I'm not sure why/how windows boots given your situations. Does the problem with windows occur when booting from the Lubuntu Grub? What happens when you select the windows EFI entry show in your last post in the BIOS?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    19

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    Does the problem with windows occur when booting from the Lubuntu Grub?
    You mean GRUB in sda1? that's where I've been booting from all this time. It's slow

    Quote Originally Posted by yancek View Post
    What happens when you select the windows EFI entry show in your last post in the BIOS?
    If I put Windows first in this list, it will boot to Windows exacyly the same way as if I do it from GRUB, slower than usual. Weird uh?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Beans
    19

    Re: Messed up GRUB could not log to kubuntu, now is win boot is also messy

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I am surprised Windows boots at all. You cannot have grub in the partition boot sector (PBR or BS) of a NTFS partition.

    You want to get to this screen:
    http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestD...ector_recovery
    select [Advanced] instead of [Analyze] and select [BackupBS]
    [HowTo] Repair the bootsector of a Windows partition - YannBuntu
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootSectorFix
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1926510
    Also check for /boot/grub in addition to /Boot
    Since ntfs partitions are case insensitive this leads to confusions between "/boot" and the already existing folder "/Boot"
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawik...ore_On_Windows
    allright, goin to check on this tomorrow.
    The source forge link is broken, tough.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •