Thread: oracle-java8-installer

Beans

oracle-java8-installer

This seems to be a recurring issue. Solutions come and go, yet I have found no known solutions out there.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

same with:
    cho "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
    echo "deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/webupd8team/java/ubuntu trusty main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list.d/webupd8team-java.list
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys EEA14886
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

returns following errors:

Connecting to download.oracle.com (download.oracle.com)|184.27.222.134|:443... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 404 Not Found
    2019-04-18 02:06:35 ERROR 404: Not Found.

download failed
    Oracle JDK 8 is NOT installed.
    dpkg: error processing package oracle-java8-installer (--configure):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    oracle-java8-installer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: oracle-java8-installer

Oracle changed the license recently and now it's required logging in using an Oracle account to download Oracle Java versions older than 12. That makes it impossible for the installer to work any more (as far as I understand). Do you specifically need Oracle Java? With the new license, it's available at no cost only for personal and development use, requiring a commercial license for other cases. You could use the Ubuntu OpenJDK packages instead, or use the Zulu OpenJDK builds which are up to date, you can install any version you want (12, 11, 8 and even 7), and are free and open source software. There's also AdoptOpenJDK, but you'll have to install it manually.
    My Ubuntu / Linux / open source website LinuxUprising.