Thread: Problem getting a game to run

Beans

Problem getting a game to run

I've been trying to get a game working https://ragnarokonline.co and I tried using wine to get it working but someone commented they might be using encryption is there still a way to get it working I've been getting messages about failing to load .Lub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: Problem getting a game to run

Many Windows programs run under wine, and many do not at all. It's kind of a crapshoot.

Here's what WineHQ says:https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...ation&iId=6347.

It might work, but it doesn't look good.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been finding myself more and more favouring Lutris when it comes to setting up games to work which aren't covered by Steam and Proton directly.

https://lutris.net/games/ragnarok/ should give an indication if Lutris can be of assistance (I am currently behind a firewall which won't allow me to open the link due to it being Gaming in nature).
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris
    How to ask questions the smart way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

the issue with Lutris (as i read, but not sure if it's true) is that it could make the OS unstable. before i decided what to do i did some research and to me it seems that Playonlinux is safer option. however on the other hand stuff that is supposed to work flawlessly on Play on linux is simply not working (their scripts are not working at all it seems).

So
    Lutris - potentialy unforeseen consequences
    Proton - for steam games
    Playonlinux - safe but scripts are no longer working. so only a GUI for Wine?!
    Wine - CLI interface, app maintenance with good intention but disastrous execution (platinum ratings for non working titles, titles that used to work flawlessly no longer work....)

now i wonder if Crossover works better and if it's worth to buy it. at the very least i would expect good customer support if i paid for it.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Many windows applications dont run inside Linux with Wine...Linux systems are not favorable for most of the latest games...Use Windows instead...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by drvshrm View Post
    Many windows applications dont run inside Linux with Wine...Linux systems are not favorable for most of the latest games...Use Windows instead...
    But a whole lot of them do, and Steam Play's Proton is constantly being improved.

I wouldn't go back to Windows at gunpoint. There are a few Windows games I had bought in my ill-advised dual-booting days that Proton will not work on, but there are thousands which run perfectly total.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819