Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some opinions

Beans

Arrow I need some opinions

Since my desktop pc is gone , and not having much money i bought a Asus laptop with the next speqs. :

Notebook / Laptop - ASUS 15.6'' X541NA
    Procesor - Intel® Celeron® Dual Core N3350 (2M Cache, up to 2.4 GHz) (2 x 1.10 GHz)
    RAM - 4GB
    Gpu -
    GMA HD 500
    SDD- 250 GB

Now if you don't mind can you tell me your opinion on it , Gimp , Pinta , Office and in general most of software works ok , but what about Inkscape , i know that small lightweight drawins,illustrations,logos etc. works ok , oh and what about Krita will it work with this system , like inkscape for not so "hardcore" graphics,any hope for small , lght work/projects on Blender ?
    Now about the Integrate Gpu with is
    GMA HD 500 says it has no ram memory at all , i guess it takes ram from the 4 GB ram installed,or in other way (don't know how) i will place the integrated gpu specs link belloW
    Integrated GPU specs GMA 500
    http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-G...0.12614.0.html
    Read until the page end

Thank you so much , have a great new week !

Last edited by radu19842; April 15th, 2019 at 07:16 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I need some opinions

The N3350 has 1100 passmarks: https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....10GHz&id=2895 which a used chromebook from 2015 is faster (Acer C720 w/ Celeron 2950U).

I know nothing about that iGPU. Sorry. I don't game, so if 1080p videos playback with h.265, then that is good enough for me.

BTW, the easy way to share machine specs is to run:
    Code:
    inxi -bDz
    The iGPU from intel makes keeping current drivers easy. Intel has been providing their iGPU drivers in a nice way to all distros. They basically "just work."

I bought a used Asus F510A 2-3 months ago on ebay, $305. It had 1 small blemish that I cannot see, but can feel on the screen bezel. Mine came with a Core i5-8250U (that's an 8th-gen), 8G RAM, 1TB HDD (spinning), 1080p screen. The CPU is about 7600 passmarks. https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php....60GHz&id=3042 - so about 6x faster than the N3300. Guess whether you should be happy would depend on the price paid. Being light on money causes lots of difficulties. Everything is working except the fingerprint reader, which I would only use for 3rd factor authentication, a) after something I know and b) something I have.

I swapped out the 1TB before even booting (it was supposed to come with Win10), and put in a 2.5" SATA EVO SSD. I never intend to use Win10, ever, anywhere.

1500 passmark is my minimal travel laptop "happy" performance level. We are all different. In general, I learned to avoid any Nxxxx CPUs. In some ways, I miss that C720 chromebook running Lubuntu. It was fast enough for remote desktops back to my real desktop at home and had great battery life.

There were $220 Dell Core i7 systems on eBay at the time, they didn't have anywhere near the battery. I do prefer Dell laptop keyboards and miss having a GigE ether port built-in.

The only reason I'm responding is because I got a very similar model. In short, always check the passmarks before any computer/laptop purchase. Don't worry plus/minus 200 points - these are just comparison markers. As said below, don't get too stuck, but as relative performance comparisons, they are helpful to know what any system could do.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 21st, 2019 at 05:09 PM. Reason: N3300--> N3350; slightly different model

Beans

Unhappy Re: I need some opinions

Hello , thank you TheFu bellow is my system info ,now i want to ask you if you don't mind some questions , can i run Blender on this laptop (or an older version of blender) or K3D witch is an older program but i guess i could install it trough wine ? Nothing hardcore stuffed up designs , no animations in Blender or K3D just small projects . Also i dont ask about Gimp or Pinta since i see those work well , but how about Inkscape/Krita could i use them in a "decent" manner , again nothing fancy , some logos/images/some drawings ! The res works well ! Thank you and have a great day
    All he best !

System: Host: radu-X541NA Kernel: 4.18.0-17-generic x86_64 bits: 64
    Desktop: Xfce 4.12.3 Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS
    Machine: Device: laptop System: ASUSTeK product: X541NA v: 1.0 serial: N/A
    Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X541NA v: 1.0 serial: N/A
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: X541NA.318 date: 02/27/2018
    Battery BAT0: charge: 17.7 Wh 51.9% condition: 34.1/34.6 Wh (99%)
    CPU: Dual core Intel Celeron N3350 (-MCP-) speed/max: 1083/2400 MHz
    Graphics: Card: Intel Device 5a85
    Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.1 )
    drivers: modesetting (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
    Resolution: 1366x768@60.02hz
    OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 500 (Broxton 2x6)
    version: 4.5 Mesa 18.2.8
    Network: Card-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCIE Fast Ethernet controller
    driver: r8169
    Card-2: Realtek RTL8723BE PCIe Wireless Network Adapter
    driver: rtl8723be
    Drives: HDD Total Size: 256.1GB (4.2% used)
    ID-1: /dev/sda model: Micron_1100_MTFD size: 256.1GB
    Last edited by radu19842; April 16th, 2019 at 07:25 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Wouldn't it be easier if you just installed the programs and tested them?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Have to say I agree with mörgæs.

Specs. and benchmark/passmark are all fine and well but everyone has a slightly different setup so the only way to know if it works on your system is to test.

If you intend only having Ubuntu, in other words not dual-booting with Windows or another OS, you could install, test, decide what is best for you and then reinstall only keeping/adding what you know worked best for you.

Perhaps not the ideal way, but I do it all the time and often reinstall 2-3 times until I am happy with the setup.

That, for me, is one of the perfect things about Linux. I know if I reinstall there won't be any surprises, no bloatware, no driver issues because I already tested the configuration.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by radu19842 View Post
    Hello , thank you TheFu bellow is my system info ,now i want to ask you if you don't mind some questions , can i run Blender on this laptop (or an older version of blender) or K3D witch is an older program but i guess i could install it trough wine ? Nothing hardcore stuffed up designs , no animations in Blender or K3D just small projects . Also i dont ask about Gimp or Pinta since i see those work well , but how about Inkscape/Krita could i use them in a "decent" manner , again nothing fancy , some logos/images/some drawings ! The res works well ! Thank you and have a great day
    I didn't see your reply until today. Email notifications haven't been working in the forums very well the last 6 months or so.

As to all the programs that you use and how they might work, I cannot say. I don't use any of them. I edit videos using different tools and wouldn't consider using those on an old chromebook (similar specs). Video editing prefers lots of RAM and lots of CPU. Trivial uses for The Gimp work on low end systems, but if you are applying gradients or transpose filters, it will be painful.

I agree - just install the programs and see how they work. It's 90 seconds to install all of them. They don't run anything when they aren't running. It is just a few MB for each on storage.

Please use normal fonts and colors unless highlighting specific things. I like to highlight suggested programs in my posts for people who are asking for suggestions, like you've done.

When posting code or any command output, it is best to use "code tags" - Adv Reply (#). BOLD DOESN'T MAKE HUGE PARAGRAPHS EASIER TO READ.

I just bought a Micron 1100 500G SSD for a VM server here, so I agree with that part of the system.

See how nice using CODE TAGS can be?
    Code:
    $ inxi -Fz
    System:    Host: posc Kernel: 4.15.0-47-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
               Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X510UAR v: 1.0
               Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X510UAR v: 1.0
               Bios: American Megatrends v: X510UAR.303 date: 12/12/2017
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-8250U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB 
               clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz
               4: 800 MHz 5: 800 MHz 6: 800 MHz 7: 800 MHz 8: 800 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel UHD Graphics 620
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: intel
               Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)
               GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
    Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-47-generic
    Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi
               IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (6.7% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_860 size: 500.1GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 25G used: 7.3G (32%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
               ID-2: /boot size: 721M used: 142M (21%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
               ID-3: /home size: 74G used: 20G (28%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-3
               ID-4: swap-1 size: 4.79GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
    RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 264 Uptime: 6 days Memory: 3392.7/7859.5MB
               Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
    I use a minimal desktop, lighter than XFCE. For me, having CPU and RAM used for programs instead of fancy GUI stuff makes sense. In reality, I doubt it makes more than 50-150MB of RAM difference. On a 2G system, that difference might matter. IDK.
    Last edited by TheFu; April 22nd, 2019 at 09:06 PM.

Beans

Your system meets the minimum (but not recommended) requirements for Blender: https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/
    It should run, but don't expect great performance. Hopefully, it will allow you to do the lighter projects you want to do without bogging down.

For the other programs in question, you should google their requirements. That will get you an answer quicker than asking on a forum.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Wouldn't it be easier if you just installed the programs and tested them?
    Good evening , yes you are right it's easier but im afraid of "rosting" my integrated gpu !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I didn't see your reply until today. Email notifications haven't been working in the forums very well the last 6 months or so.

As to all the programs that you use and how they might work, I cannot say. I don't use any of them. I edit videos using different tools and wouldn't consider using those on an old chromebook (similar specs). Video editing prefers lots of RAM and lots of CPU. Trivial uses for The Gimp work on low end systems, but if you are applying gradients or transpose filters, it will be painful.

I agree - just install the programs and see how they work. It's 90 seconds to install all of them. They don't run anything when they aren't running. It is just a few MB for each on storage.

Please use normal fonts and colors unless highlighting specific things. I like to highlight suggested programs in my posts for people who are asking for suggestions, like you've done.

When posting code or any command output, it is best to use "code tags" - Adv Reply (#). BOLD DOESN'T MAKE HUGE PARAGRAPHS EASIER TO READ.

I just bought a Micron 1100 500G SSD for a VM server here, so I agree with that part of the system.

See how nice using CODE TAGS can be?
    Code:
    $ inxi -Fz
    System:    Host: posc Kernel: 4.15.0-47-generic x86_64 (64 bit)
               Desktop: Openbox 3.6.1 Distro: Ubuntu 16.04 xenial
    Machine:   System: ASUSTeK (portable) product: X510UAR v: 1.0
               Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X510UAR v: 1.0
               Bios: American Megatrends v: X510UAR.303 date: 12/12/2017
    CPU:       Quad core Intel Core i5-8250U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 6144 KB 
               clock speeds: max: 3400 MHz 1: 800 MHz 2: 800 MHz 3: 800 MHz
               4: 800 MHz 5: 800 MHz 6: 800 MHz 7: 800 MHz 8: 800 MHz
    Graphics:  Card: Intel UHD Graphics 620
               Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: intel
               Resolution: 1920x1080@60.01hz
               GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)
               GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 18.0.5
    Audio:     Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
               Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.15.0-47-generic
    Network:   Card: Intel Wireless 8265 / 8275 driver: iwlwifi
               IF: wlp2s0 state: down mac: <filter>
    Drives:    HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (6.7% used)
               ID-1: /dev/sda model: Samsung_SSD_860 size: 500.1GB
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 25G used: 7.3G (32%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-1
               ID-2: /boot size: 721M used: 142M (21%) fs: ext2 dev: /dev/sda2
               ID-3: /home size: 74G used: 20G (28%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/dm-3
               ID-4: swap-1 size: 4.79GB used: 0.00GB (0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/dm-2
    RAID:      No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 40.0C mobo: N/A
               Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A
    Info:      Processes: 264 Uptime: 6 days Memory: 3392.7/7859.5MB
               Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 2.2.35
    I use a minimal desktop, lighter than XFCE. For me, having CPU and RAM used for programs instead of fancy GUI stuff makes sense. In reality, I doubt it makes more than 50-150MB of RAM difference. On a 2G system, that difference might matter. IDK.
    I understand , thank you so much !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Your system meets the minimum (but not recommended) requirements for Blender: https://www.blender.org/download/requirements/
    It should run, but don't expect great performance. Hopefully, it will allow you to do the lighter projects you want to do without bogging down.

For the other programs in question, you should google their requirements. That will get you an answer quicker than asking on a forum.
    I want to make small projects , yes 3d , but not animations or heavy stuff , i hope for the best ! Thank you !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast