Thread: Format USBs, exFat or something else?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Format USBs, exFat or something else?

I'm trying to format a few USB drives that can handle movies in Windows, Ubuntu, and Nvidia Shield (Andriod).
    I'm confused about File Sytem Formats; NTFS, FAT, and Fuse. From right-clk on a USB Drive in Ubuntu 18.04, the options for formatting are NTFS and FAT, which Windows says is Fat32, which doesn't work for movies larger than 4 GB. I see someone recommeded exFat, but I don't see it listed in the format options.

So it's NTFS, but there's a warning that if the drive has any error in NTFS, Ubuntu will not touch it.

I could try entering via the terminal, but I have little experience. I'm trying to learn and have had some success following explicit instructions.
    I have three USB drives which were formatted exFat.
    So I loaded “exFat to Fuse” in the terminal from itsFOSS and it worked for a small drive, but not for my 1TB USB drive.
    Maybe there's an error with that drive. I could try NTFS on it...or redo exFat.

again:

1. NTFS has a warning
    2. Fat32 can't handle large files
    3. exFat to Fuse didn't work on the 1 TB USB drive
    4. And I want them compatible with Ubuntu, Windows, Nvidia Shield

Can you recommend something here?
    Thanks for your time!
    Ubuntu Bionic Beaver 18.04 since 2019!
    To completely replace Win 7, 64 bit, someday!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Format USBs, exFat or something else?

I know nothing about a Shield device. I would start with the list of supported file systems on that device and work backwards. Sometimes there isn't a good answer.

NTFS uses journals which are brutal on Flash storage. Even with load-leveling, expect it to wear out with lots of write cycles. I destroyed a 64G flash drive from a highly reputable vendor/maker in less than a year by recording video on it about 300 days a year. It was FAT32, but NTFS would have been much worse.

You can split video files into parts, BTW.

FUSE is a user-land file system interface. It is used by all non-kernel file systems. That includes NTFS, vFAT and xFAT - plus probably 50 other file systems.

Er ... you should use a repo or PPA to get the exFAT FUSE tools installed on Ubuntu. I avoid exFAT for anti-microsoft reasons, but if that works for you,
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install exfat-utils exfat-fuse
    is how access is available. I know little about using any specific GUI to re-format storage, sorry. Well, I use gParted sometimes, but most of the time I'd use mkfs -t ext4 to format a partition/LV into a specific file system.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DataHoarder...nvidia_shield/ says only NTFS and exFAT are supported. Of those choices, exFAT is less abusive towards flash storage. There's the answer, such as it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...f_file_systems might be worth skimming to understand just how many choices there are in the wider world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Format USBs, exFat or something else?

Thank you Fu! Looks like it's exFat for meeee!
    I loaded exfat-utils exfat-fuse again, pretty cool, the terminal suggested deleting unused files.