Thread: [18.04] Ubuntu boot stuck after trying to change login screen background

Beans

[18.04] Ubuntu boot stuck after trying to change login screen background

I tried to change my login screen background via modifying /usr/share/gnome-shell/theme/ubuntu.css file mistakes were made. So my boot process stuck at "started gnome display manager... and deal with any system changes" line.

Any chances to restore?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [18.04] Ubuntu boot stuck after trying to change login screen background

Did you make a copy of the ubuntu.css file before you edited it? If so you should be able to hold down [ctrl] [alt] [F3] to access a console screen. From there you can login and copy the original .css file back over your changes. Then sudo reboot and you should be fine. If you didn't create a backup of the file you may be able to access the console [ctrl] [alt] [F3] and then issue the command sudo apt-get install --reinstall gnome-shell and then reboot the computer. * note; I have a dell laptop and in order for me to use the F keys I need to press the Fn key on the keyboard so for me to access a login console I have to hit [Ctrl] + [Fn] + [Alt] + [F3] (all at the same time).