Thread: Problem with loading NVIDIA X Server Settings on boot

Beans

Problem with loading NVIDIA X Server Settings on boot

Hello, I am new to ubuntu and linux in general. I have a problem with loading my NVIDIA X Server Settings (Gamma/ Brightness) on boot. I am using ubuntu 18.10 with NVIDIA X driver version 390.116.
    I have in Startup Application Preferences Startup Program with command "sh -c '/usr/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only'" but ubuntu never loads it on boot. To get It to work I have to manually run the command in terminal or run the NVIDIA X Server application and It's starting to get a bit annoying.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Problem with loading NVIDIA X Server Settings on boot

if by boot you mean after login
    try putting this as a startup option
    Code:
    sh -c 'sleep 3 && /usr/bin/nvidia-settings --load-config-only'
    this will delay it 3 seconds, you may need more or less than 3 depending on the hardware
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Tried many different values ranging from 1s to 10s. Still nothing. I think the problem is that GNOME always overrides it. I see the correct brightness and gamma get set during the boot sequence but when I log in It's back to default.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I don't know if this will work or not, but it may.
    Have you tried adjusting the Gamma/Brightness to the desired settings then going back to the 'X Server Display Configuration' page followed by clicking Save to X Configuration File at the bottom of the page?
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans

Yes, I have saved it that way. When I run the application the correct values are applied. The problem is with applying them at login...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Okay, I played with this a little bit. In post #4, I suggested saving the configuration to file. It gets saved as .nvidia-settings-rc
    in the directory of your choice. (By the way, there is a .nvidia-settings-rc located in the home directory.) In my case, I chose ~/tmp. See if you can use this command-plus-option, modified to use your chosen save directory.
    Code:
     /usr/bin/nvidia-settings --config=~/tmp/.nvidia-settings-rc
    Here is an extract from man /usr/bin/nvidia-settings

Code:
    nvidia-settings(1)  
    --config=CONFIG
                  Use the configuration file CONFIG rather than the default ~/.nvidia-settings-rc
    -l, --load-config-only
                  Load  the  configuration  file, send the values specified therein to the X server, and exit.
                  This mode of operation is useful to place in your xinitrc file, for example.
    Did you modify your xinitrc file?
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.