Thread: gnome classic

Beans

gnome classic

I have 19.04 (fully updated) on two machines, one (automatically) shows a gnome classic on log-in, the other does not.

These two machines have identical installation procedures.

? ? ?

BTW I really like gnome classic even when I have a relatively powerful machine (Ryzen 7 + RX550 + 16 GB DDR4)!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: gnome classic

I think you can enable the bottom panel as in the classic session from the tweak tool. I have seen this session appear before on though only on an upgrade.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I was just testing that session in Disco and assume that it still requires the installation of the package 'gnome-shell-extensions' from the repos. I encountered a login screen bug though:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...3/+bug/1824588

I'm guessing that may be hardware related? Regardless because of that bug I can't be 100% certain that package is still required but I know it was previously. That "classic" session should not be confused with the flashback session which uses gnome-panel.

Beans

I use flashback (alternatingly with ubuntu desktop) 18.04.x when gnome classic is (or at least was) essentially unworkable. With 19.04, the situations seem to have reversed. For machines that do not (automatically) make gnome classic available during log in, I couldn't find a way to install it.

Beans

gnome-shell classic is in the gnome-shell-extensions package.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    gnome-shell classic is in the gnome-shell-extensions package.
    The gnome classic desktop I got from installing the gnome-shell-extensions package turned out to be functionally very different from the "automatically installed" (really don't know what this means) version. The icons are all screwed up (black and white). But mostly, the gnome terminal is essentially unusable (screen disappeared but reappeared every time I entered a character, like a black and white neon light).