Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Beans
    9

    Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    Turned the computer off but now it won't load and it is showing this messgae. Have live cd but it is of later version. Running ubuntu as a partitionwith windows xp need to get files off the ubuntu any advice how to fix it so I can access my old ubuntu?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    8,575
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    Hi and welcome to the forums

    Boot the liveCD and then follow the instructions to create a boot info summary report (see link in my signature).

    Post the results here so we can try and help further.

    Thanks.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    51.8° N 5.8° E
    Beans
    4,533
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    Do didn't specify the versions of the installed Ubuntu and of the live disk, but in any case you can access the files on your installed Ubuntu using the live disk. The next question is whether you want to fix your installed Ubuntu or want to replace it with the newer.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    Do didn't specify the versions of the installed Ubuntu and of the live disk, but in any case you can access the files on your installed Ubuntu using the live disk. The next question is whether you want to fix your installed Ubuntu or want to replace it with the newer.
    As long as I can recover my old files I don't care. The version is 13 or 14 I think the live CD is the latest. How do I recover my old files? I tried this command

    udisksctl mount -b/dev/sdxy where x was the driver letter and y the partition number but it didn't work.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    I can't create a boot summary from the live cd as it is not connected to the internet.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    51.8° N 5.8° E
    Beans
    4,533
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    If the installed Ubuntu system is 13 or 14 .something, it's (almost) dead and not worth fixing. The simplest way to get the files is to use the file manager on the live disk. Click the partition, with a bit of luck it will mount and you can access the files. If that doesn't work, you can try it with the mount command:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdxy /media/something
    No password needed in the live session. Then you can copy the files to an external drive.
    Last edited by Impavidus; April 17th, 2019 at 08:22 PM. Reason: typo

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    Quote Originally Posted by Impavidus View Post
    If the installed Ubuntu system is 13 or 14 .something, it's (almost) dead and not worth fixing. The simplest way to get the files is to use the file manager on the live disk. Click the partition, with a bit of luck it will mount and you can access the files. If that down't work, you can try it with the mount command:
    Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdxy /media/something
    No password needed in the live session. Then you can copy the files to an external drive.
    How do I 'click the partition'? Also in the code do you mean media/something?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    8,575
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    First try this from the liveCD/USB:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1902...es-from-livecd

    By clicking on the partition, Impavidus means that you should be able to mount the drive/partition without anything else needed done. An icon will then appear on the live desktop and you can navigate to whichever folders you need.

    If it works, backup all your important files and folders before deciding on the next step.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    Quote Originally Posted by Rubi1200 View Post
    First try this from the liveCD/USB:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1902...es-from-livecd

    By clicking on the partition, Impavidus means that you should be able to mount the drive/partition without anything else needed done. An icon will then appear on the live desktop and you can navigate to whichever folders you need.

    If it works, backup all your important files and folders before deciding on the next step.
    Okay thanks I have managed to access the files but it won't let me copy them onto a usb stick even though it detects the stick

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Beans
    8,575
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

    Re: Target filesystem doesn't have requested /sbin/init

    How are you trying to copy them over, drag and drop?

    What error messages, if any, do you get?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •