Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18.04.2 LTS hack

Beans

Re: 18.04.2 LTS hack

I have noticed that in my /tmp directory there is a config-err-xxx file which should not be there since no updates or apps have been installed. I have noticed that my workstation appears to crash but it is actual something using a high amount of CPU. this workstation is only running a browser either Firefox or Brave. I then leave the machine running youtube HD video.

Beans

I have noticed that Ubuntu is calling out to a internet site "connectivity-check.ubuntu.com" which results in IP address 35.224.94.156 and 35.222.85.5 responding and communicating . Can anyone tell me why Ubuntu would be communicating with this site?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This article is slightly outdated but likely still relevant:
    https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/09/...g-ubuntu-17-10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In 18.04 and later, many programs are installed via the snap package manager, not using APT. This is optional. Some people have removed the entire snap system, if you like and install the packages through apt, apt-get, aptitude, synaptic. If you choose to remove the snap subsystem on 18.04 and later, please make excellent backups so you can put it back. If the system you are running supports snapshots (VM or with LVM/ZFS), making one BEFORE the removal would be smart.
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1035...re-from-ubuntu

Snaps provide some interesting features and introduce some new considerations. I believe that Canonical should have made using any snaps optional and allowed people to specifically choose to install them. Better integration with APT would be appreciated too. Adding another, completely separate, package management system sorta sucks, IMHO.

Starting any huge program like firefox has always taken time. The difference in startup between the snap version and the non-snap version really shouldn't be all that different. For tiny programs, it would be more noticeable due to the architecture of snaps, flatpaks, or appimages (these are similar ideas). Canonical has gone Snap-crazy for extremely low-risk programs. This makes zero sense. Having firefox or thunderbird inside a snap **absolutely DOES make sense**, provided they actually work as before.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I compared it a long time ago, and snap install was larger than using apt. Since then I've always removed snapd along with several other programs. apt is all I will ever use. I hope its still available in the future. Old school I guess in regards to install, but I enjoy what systemd brings to the table vs old school init.

Beans

I have noticed that if I leave firefox open running a youtube video (several hour video) when I come back to Ubuntu firefox has closed.

Beans

After reinstalling 18.04.2 LTS I was prompted to remove media and reboot. A message appeared after doing so, can anyone tell me what it refers?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Did you remove the media before rebooting?

If I pull out the USB too quickly before it gets to BIOS this message sometimes appears. It is absolutely nothing to be concerned about, these are messages from the live media and live file system.

Beans

The media was removed. the message appearedafter the media was removed and I clicked on a key to continue.

Beans

After a clean install of 18.04.2 LTS I performed an update of Ubuntu then installed Wireshark to monitor network activity to the drive. I then left Firefox displaying a youtube file and Wireshark continuously monitoring. When I came back to the workstation Wireshark and Firefox had closed and the screen went into blank screen saver mode. I had disabled screen saver mode prior to doing this test. The Wireshark continuous saved file had been removed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast