Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Irretrievably derailed thread.

Beans

Re: Discussion thread for "What is the Best Ubuntu Flavour?"

Quote Originally Posted by u-n View Post
    precisely why i prefer gnome. gnome has its own identity & does not resemble nothing.
    I've always felt they were trying to make it feel like Windows8/10 though better than the tiles. I usually don't compare DEs with Windows, though. I just find what works for me and run with it.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

i prefer the one that stays out of my way.
    Mask wearer, Social distancer, System Administrator, Programmer, Linux advocate, Command Line user, Ham radio operator (KA9WGN/8, tech), Photographer (hobby), occasional tweetXer

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by uRock View Post
    I usually don't compare DEs with Windows, though.
    likewise.

gnome is default ubuntu & ubuntu is canonical which i definitely prefer over a community project which all the rest are barring kylin.

Beans

It's kinda funny how whole distros are designed to "look and act like Windows" for the benefit of those coming to Linux from Redmond's OS. I was absolutely the opposite! When I dumped Windows for Linux, I wanted something as totally different from Windows as possible, something completely new to explore. My Xfce desktop can "look like" pretty much anything I want it to, panels, icons, docks, applets and widgets anywhere I want them, as many or as few as I want. It turns out I like a spacious, uncluttered desktop with no icons except six launchers on a panel, a weather applet, and an analog clock applet. Minimal, uncluttered, clean, and fast.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    The purpose of this thread was and is to discuss and offer suggestions for the sticky posted on the top of the forum.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2415676
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    This is the discussion thread for the sticky: What is the Best Ubuntu Flavour?

Please feel free to post your questions, comments and suggestions here.
    I like that the thread includes a post about "Unofficial Desktop Environments" (post #5) and another one about "Alternative Window Manager Environments" (post #6). It's kind of like it's possible to come up with your own unofficial 'Buntu flavour.

Further down, towards the end of the "Tips and Tricks" post (post #8), there's a note that begins with the following:

Vanilla Ubuntu also offers an option called "Minimal Installation" on its setup screen.
    I found that same setup option in Kubuntu 18.04, so that's what I used here. Later, I added Openbox, so I have a Kubuntu 18.04 installation where I can log into either KDE Plasma or Openbox sessions. Very nice. I do use some KDE apps from within Openbox.

Also, the "Frequently Asked Questions" post (post #7) is definitely worth taking a look at. One part that caught my eye:

What WMs will be available when Wayland replaces X.org?
    Some related info I found in this week's DistroWatch Weekly:

Checking for Wayland and Wayland applications

Looking through windows asks
    : Is there a way to tell whether the desktop environment I am currently using is running on Wayland or not? And is it possible to detect if my desktop application is using Wayland or XWayland?

DistroWatch answers: Yes, there are tools for detecting whether your current desktop is running on a Wayland or X.Org session. Perhaps the easiest way you can check this is by opening a virtual terminal and running the following command. This should work on most Linux distributions:

echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE

The above command prints out the value of the XDG_SESSION_TYPE variable. The command should print either "x11" on your terminal, indicating your desktop session is running on X.Org, or "wayland" if you have signed into a Wayland session.

To see if one of your desktop applications is running as a pure Wayland program, or under either X.Org or XWayland, you can run a command line tool called xprop, which is short for "X properties". Running xprop will cause your mouse cursor to turn into a cross. The next window you click on will cause xprop to display the information it can find on that application in your terminal. Clicking on a Wayland program should not result in xprop displaying any information. Clicking in a program running in X.Org/XWayland mode will display the program's icon, process name and window identity information.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Discussion thread for "What is the Best Ubuntu Flavour?"

Quote Originally Posted by Artim View Post
    When I dumped Windows for Linux, I wanted something as totally different from Windows as possible, something completely new to explore.
    exactly my train of thought too & gnome gives me exactly that.

if the ' start menu ' is indispensable for you stick with windows. switching to linux & then wanting a linux which is windows-ish is absurd i.m.h.o.

Beans

+1 for kubuntu. Highly versatile and resource usage is pretty reasonable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Which bit of Frogs Hair's post is impossible to understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    The purpose of this thread was and is to discuss and offer suggestions for the sticky posted on the top of the forum.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2415676

Thread closed for staff review.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Irretrievably derailed thread.

Following staff discussion, moved to Recurring Discussions.

Thread will stay closed.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123