Thread: Kernel panic when using 4 drives on pcix sata card

Beans

Kernel panic when using 4 drives on pcix sata card

So I am in the process of building a new server. I have 7 drives including a M2 boot drive. 2 drives on my motherboards main SATA ports and 4 drives on an add on PCI x SATA controller. When using the controller 95% of boots result in a kernel panic. If I remove one of the drives from the controller and connect it to another sata port on the motherboard or to another pcix controller everything works fine. Ordered another 4 port card with a different chip and it does the same thing.

I am running ubuntu 18.04 server. Not sure what I can do from here to diagnose. Currently the only solution I have is to use 3 of the 4 ports on the card and move the other drive to another card or internal sata. I plan to get more drives so I will need the port eventually.

Also not using RAID if that matters.

Anyone have any ideas?

Beans

Re: Kernel panic when using 4 drives on pcix sata card

Update: I am now having the issue when using 3 drives on the card so I guess it's not related to having 4 on the same card. It also happens when having 2 on one card and 2 on another both using the same chip but different models.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

Are these devices in your fstab? If so, what happens if you comment them out?

Does the machine boot? Can you mount the devices manually after booting?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

They are in my fstab. If I comment them out it will boot, and even if I don't it will boot sometimes but then after being up for awhile and interacting with the drives I'll end up with the same kernel panic. I can't remember if I tried commenting them out booting up uncommenting and mounting to see if things work better, but based on the panic I get when I do get a successful boot that makes me think it won't help much.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

A bit of a ramble there.

So if you comment them out in fstab, you boot consistently?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

I am trying to do some more testing now. I was just able to recreat the panic without using the controller card at all (complete removed it from the system) which I wasn't able to do last week when I first had the problem which made me think it was the pci card. I'll report back with more findings after I test some more.

Beans

Memtest86+ reported errors so I am thinking this is most likely a memory issue. Trying to track down which module and/or slot on the board is bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Did you check your log file to see what caused the panic?

If you had memory errors, then I suspect you’re on the right track.
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda