Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: rEFInd to replace grub troubles?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: rEFInd to replace grub troubles?

Frank, I think oldfred mentioned usb backup, but I also backed up partition, then realize all I need to do is backup the files, so I 'tar'ed' the partition or rather "/boot/efi/"

One thing I can't do and it appears oldfred can is boot live iso using his configfile method. I tried using the old mbr method. That will work if Secure Boot is off.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: rEFInd to replace grub troubles?

Frank,
    I gather you have not housecleaned duplicates.
    Deleting an entry from some old install, should never make a difference. Worst case is that your new install would have to have grub reinstalled to be first in UEFI boot order.
    You should always be able to boot USB flash drive.
    They do not normally boot from saved UEFI boot menu, but separately from UEFI boot entry. It looks like your UEFI may save the entry, but then when you disconnect flash drive, it reverts to a default .
    All UEFI systems boot from /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi. My system will show another hard drive in boot options called UEFI PMAP, but most use label or name of flash drive.
    If UEFI not booting, you may need to create new flash drive. Some cases an install writes incorrectly to the flash drive since it gets promoted to sda.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123