Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't access to my main hdd where windows is installed (Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap)

Beans

Can't access to my main hdd where windows is installed (Failed to read NTFS $Bitmap)

Hello, i have a problem. I have 2 OS, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 16.04. Therefore, it's partitioned.
    I have 4 partitions:
    -C:/
    -Another that i have Ubuntu
    -Another 2 where i have data (created in Windows).
    In Ubuntu I was running out of memory. So i tried to install ntfs-3g (For an error that appeared to my hard drive c: / in GParted) and that was the last thing i did.
    At the moment that i try to access to my partitions on Ubuntu of Windows i get an error (Failed to read NTFS $ Bitmap: NTFS input / output error is either inconsistent, or there is a hardware fault, or it's a SoftRAID / FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk / f on Windows then reboot into Windows twice).

Ok, i tried to use Windows 7. But there is a Blue screen when i try to enter. Then the computer restarts and shows me the grub again to select my OS.
    I select Windows again. Now shows me the option to "repair computer" or "use windows normally". So i select "repair computer". The black screen appears with a Windows loading to give place to the other screen, but suddenly the screen is completely black and the computer is still on. But nothing load.

So, i can only shutdown with the button.

I used a USB with Windows 7, i booted. I click on "Repair computer" and when i click, only the mouse and the Windows 7 boot background remains.

What can i do? I don't want to format my c:/ because i have my projects of the school there .
    Sorry for my bad english. Thank you for read.

Beans

Re: Can't access to my main hdd where windows is installed (Failed to read NTFS $Bitm

For an error that appeared to my hard drive c: / in GParted)
    What error? Why were you using GParted?

Bitmap: NTFS input / output error is either inconsistent...
    The above error is very common with windows 8/10 which hibernate by default which 7 does not. Do you have windows 7 hibernated? If so, turn it off before trying to access from Ubuntu.

Installing or trying to install ntfs-3g on Ubuntu isn't going to have any effect on your windows partitions.

In Ubuntu I was running out of memory. So i tried to install ntfs-3g
    Do you mean you were running out of disk space on your Ubuntu partition? Did you modify your partitions with GParted?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Can't access to my main hdd where windows is installed (Failed to read NTFS $Bitm

Ubuntu gave you a fairly generic error message. It's unlikely you had to install ntfs-3g, as that is normally installed by default. It has been like that for ten years or so. It's quite safe to use it to access ntfs data partitions. If damage occurs (which is possible, as ntfs drivers on Linux aren't perfect), Windows can fix it. Accessing the C partition is less safe, as damage there (not just filesystem damage, but also deleting or modifying the wrong files) may make Windows unbootable. On the only Ubuntu/Windows dual boot computer I have here, I automatically mount several ntfs partitions using fstab, but put the C partition in there with the options to make sure it's not mounted.

I hope you've got backups of your important files, both on the Windows side and on the Ubuntu side. You should always have those. If not, make them now.

A damaged ntfs partition is a Windows problem. The tool most likely to fix it is a Windows repair disk.
    Last edited by Impavidus; April 1st, 2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo

Beans

What error?
    "Impossible to read the contents of this file system.
    Because of this, some operations may not be available.
    The cause may be that a software package is missing.
    The following list of software packages is required for the support of the ntfs file system: ntfs-3g / ntfsprogs."

Why were you using GParted?
    To expand the Ubuntu space, but I did not expand it or anything.

Do you have windows 7 hibernated?
    Nope :s

Also i cannot access to "Repair computer" on my bootable usb and in my windows 7

Do you mean you were running out of disk space on your Ubuntu partition?
    Yeah!, but at the final i did not modify any partition
    Last edited by seniorbrayan; March 31st, 2019 at 08:04 PM.

Beans

"Impossible to read the contents of this file system.
    If I understand correctly, you got this message while in GParted, correct?

The following list of software packages is required for the support of the ntfs file system: ntfs-3g / ntfsprogs."
    Were you able to install either/both of thoss programs. You can verify this in terminal with either the whereis or which command, i.e: whereis ntfs-3g
    So it would appear your windows system is corrupted or has some problem. THere is Linux software (ntfsfix) which if installed and used correctly, can sometimes make very minor repairs but if it anything more than that, you need windows tools.

Beans

Yep, that was the GParted.
    I used "sudo ntfsfix /dev/sda2" (where is C:/) and this happens

What should i do?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You cannot fix most Windows errors from Ubuntu.
    The NTFSfix application really just sets the chkdsk flag so Windows on reboot will run chkdsk.

But if you cannot boot in Windows recovery mode, you need to use your Windows repair flash drive or installer with repair console. Probably chkdsk but perhaps other repairs are then required.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

When i boot with my pendrive and i click "Repair computer" nothing happens :s (only the mouse and the background of windows 7 installer remains on the screen)
    And i tried to run in Safe mode, loads a little bit of drivers (i guess XD) but appears a blue screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You can only fix from Windows, but post this to see if NTFS has correct partition boot sector.

May be best to see details, use ppa version with your live installer or any working install, not older Boot-Repair ISO:
    Please copy & paste link to the Boot-info summary report ( do not post report), the auto fix sometimes can create more issues.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Sorry, i can't understand o.O

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast