Thread: Email notifications don't work properly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Email notifications don't work properly

For every thread I've ever started and subscribed in this forum I've only received email notifications only for the first 3 replies. I've tried to change my email address but nothing's changed. I've looked into my spam folder but nothing's there.
    Just to bring an example. This is the last thread I started and subscribed and I received email notification until post #6 which is the 3rd reply.
    Why? Maybe I set something wrong within my account I forgot? How to fix that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Email notifications don't work properly

I myself have this issue receiving email notifications, in my opinion it is unlikely to be resolved anytime soon I believe a ticket has to be created with Canonical IS, I am not sure if one has or not, that is above my pay grade so to speak, this is a thread where this issue has been discussed but no answer found.

https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2406120

This thread belongs in Forum Feedback & Help, if any further discussion is required it will need to be moved their.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; March 31st, 2019 at 02:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Moved to Forum Feedback and help. I get email notifications of PM's on the forums yet but I know vbulletin has had email notification issues from other forums I visit

Beans
    Distro

This time I didn't receive emails for these replies, I mean none! I red the linked thread, it's not possible there's no way to solve that. Afaik there's a tool to be notified if someone replies to a thread but it's a sw for windows, I mean it doesn't deal with the specific web site. Moreover I remember whirlpool forum (from AU) has made a tool like that. So is there something alike for linux environment?

I don't know if that's important but I've never had this issue with my local ubuntu forum. Honestly I don't know if that site is managed by canonical too and if it's built on vbullettin, anyway I just pointed that up.

We've to find a workaround for that. Communication is fundamental else it's almost like to be not present in forums.
    Last edited by gipsyshadow; March 31st, 2019 at 12:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Your local forum runs on phpbb and not vbulletin, maybe it is an issue with emails in vbulletin that can't be fixed

Beans
    Distro

one good news for me: i received last jeremy31 reply notification.

anyway i'd like to... insist on what i've said above i'm a very newbie so i miss the necessary knowledge to understand the whole "thing" but i want to point your attention to https://whirlpool.net.au forum. i remembered that forum hadn't replies email notification option, i searched a bit and found this FAQ page where we can read:
    Whirlpool does not provide a mechanism for users to receive emails about new threads or new posts to threads they have posted in.
    Whirlpool does support Watched Threads, which can provide you with a single interface to all the threads you are currently interested in.
    [...]
    For accessing information on Watched Threads outside of Whirlpool, there are various 3rd Party Clients and Extensions users can use to receive notification of new posts in Watched Threads.
    and
    There is currently one WP-specific sidebar available – Threadwatch, which tracks WP Forum threads and whim notifications.

To use in Firefox 23.0 and later:

Bookmark this link
    Right click the bookmark and choose to Load this bookmark in the sidebar
    as said i can't understand what they did but they found that solution to a situation that is an issue for us. is it possible to create something for ubuntu what they did for windows?
    i remember there's another web site with no reply notification option via email and as far as i can remember a user of that forum solved similarly with a small sw in windows taskbar so it'd seem an "easy" tool to create (not for me of course ).

that's my 2 (rusted) cents. what do you think of that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I know vbulletin has the email notifications for subscribed threads replies but it does tend to fail at times, so there might be a limit for the replies and it might be 3 times per topic

Beans
    Distro

there might be a limit
    why are you in doubt? what about you? do you receive only 3 replies per thread too?
    i'm not an expert as you know but i don't think so because it happened to me that i received email notifications after the 3rd reply but i couldn't see the "rule" beneath that. i know i said (and bolded) "every thread" but only once happened that a thread of mine was so long to catch this "exception", anyway it happened. look at this thread, as you can read @ my 13th post i said "Now email notifications seem to work regularly", so the "only first 3 replies" is not an absolute rule for me.

anyway what about an ubuntu application that does what i pointed above?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Nobody here works for Canonical and nobody here can make substantive changes to the operation of the software resident on their servers. We can make some very minor adjustments now and again or suggest different user settings that to try, but what you are asking about is not within our ken. We are all but poor end-users such as yourself -- Staff included.

We can't fix this. We forward tickets to Canonical and we wait. There is room enough on the bench for you if you care to sit down and wait with us.

Perhaps someone will take up the task of creating some sort of app to get around this. I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Last edited by QIII; April 1st, 2019 at 02:23 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.