Thread: Best Ubuntu release

Beans

Best Ubuntu release

Please, which is the best Ubuntu release for the following mini computer specs? Intel Atom X5-Z8350, 4GB + 64GB.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Best Ubuntu release

They all are! Seriously, it all depends on you and what you like and what you can deal comfortably with. My suggestion would be to download several of them and run them from an install medium on a USB stick and see what one(s) you like. Ubuntu and Kubuntu are the fanciest desktops, but also the most memory hungry. Xubuntu, Budgie have simpler desktops that leave more memory for running programs.

Personally, I never cared about what the desktop looked like because I don't sit here staring at it all day! To each his own.

Download and try a bunch of them!

Beans

THanks, but Xubuntu needs more than 4Gb RAM, needn't it? On the page, it is said: Your processor needs to support PAE in order to run Xubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Just make sure it's a supported release. 14.04 only has a few weeks of support left, so that's no option. Pick 16.04 LTS (2 years of support left for Ubuntu, but only a few weeks for the other flavours), or 18.04 LTS (the latest LTS release, 4 years of support left for Ubuntu, 2 years for the other flavours), or 18.10 (latest release, but only 4 months of support left). Best would probably be 18.04, unless (like me) you don't mind regular release upgrades or fresh installs. And with 4GiB memory I suggest 64 bit, although it doesn't matter too much (unless you want to install Chrome).

As for the flavour, you can just pick the one you like most. That computer should be able to run every flavour.

Quote Originally Posted by jayhawker2 View Post
    THanks, but Xubuntu needs more than 4Gb RAM, needn't it? On the page, it is said: Your processor needs to support PAE in order to run Xubuntu.
    Not really. Xubuntu was the last Ubuntu flavour to support the non-pae kernel (in Xubuntu 12.04, end-of-life in 4-2015). Since then there's no longer a non-pae kernel in de Ubuntu repositories. That shouldn't be a problem. Most CPUs from the past 20 years support PAE. PAE is a trick to support more than 4GiB memory on a 32 bit system, but it doesn't mean you need more than 4GiB of memory. You can run Xubuntu quite well in 2GiB. Even in 1GiB, if you don't open too many tabs in your web browser.

Beans

OK. Thanks

Please, how to download from a pen drive? I see only ISO.
    Last edited by howefield; May 25th, 2020 at 09:41 AM. Reason: posts merged.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

An .iso file is an installation file. You need to install that file onto a USB, not merely copy it onto the drive. Unetbootin will work for doing that. You will have to download and install Unetbootin to create your pendrive installation.

Beans

Sorry, how I get this Unetbootin. Is there any guidance page?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I don't think Unetbootin is in the official repos anymore.
    But before that, are you creating your installation medium from within a Linux or Windows operating system?

Beans

It is a new computer with Windows 10.
    Last edited by QIII; March 25th, 2019 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Melodrama expunged.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

From within windows you probably need to use a program like Rufus to burn your iso image to a usb stick.
    https://rufus.ie/