Thread: profanity

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

profanity

i looked up the word, that wildman39 corrected, an coffeecan contacted me about. i didnt know it meant that. in my vocabulary, it meant screwed up, with an ed on the back of the word, with an er on the back of the word, a person who is a screw up.
    the word screw, can be made into a word not appropreait here. is there a list of words, i cant use. i dont need to see the obvious ones in my area. but on a global scale?
    anyway; i wont use that word again, if i can remember. thanks, ed
    the only bad question is one that is not asked.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: profanity

My brother just got in. so i asked him what the word meant, in the context i used. he said "messed up". when i told him what the word means on this site, he laughed. both of us are over 55 years old.
    just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder. so is profanity. nuff said

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That word has been known to me for more than 30 years as vulgar even in American vernacular.

To some extent, what is and is not appropriate is "in the eye of the beholder". As an old war vet who is older than you, the language I might use at the VFW around my friends might be appropriate there, but it certainly would not be in the office. The way I talked as a Commander would not be appropriate for addressing the Officers' Wives Club (which term, as it turns out, long ago became non-PC).

As members of the Forums Staff, the beholder's eye is ours: Given that the Forums are populated by users from around the world and from every imaginable culture, we are responsible to ensure that the posts on the Forum are user- and workplace-friendly for everyone.

How do you determine what is appropriate? Don't use any turn of phrase that even bears the appearance of impropriety and don't say anything you wouldn't say around your grandmother. Nobody is perfect. In cases where we feel a term is potentially offensive but not deliberately intended to be, we will quietly edit the post and leave a reason for the edit. Sometimes we PM. Hopefully people will notice the corrections to their posts and avoid the verbiage in the future.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i am glad for the response, an you would take the time to do so. i will be more aware. i was notified of my mistake, an corrected 2 posts. even appreciate the person that caught it. i'm getting a better understanding of syntax,dialect, away form the front door, so to speak. nuff said

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

i knew with an er on the end of the word, not an ed on the end of the word. We'll enough about that. lesson learned on my part.
    i was born mid 50's. the only time i ever heard that was on TV. i don't think i heard it, in the navy. i wasn't in long, but was on-board.
    the rumor's are true about the was sailor's talk. "cuss like a sailor". it took me a few year's to quit talking like that. ya ought to hear the way, Ford worker's talk, now.. anywho. i get the message. tank's Ed

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

another dumb question. as soon as i found out about this i would have straightened this up. i get embarrassed easily, an glad it was caught.
    now for the dumb part; i was given 24 hrs. sometimes i take a few days off, from the net in general. time to think, or whatever. would i have got kicked off for that? i will still be more reserved, in what i write regardless