Thread: AMD GPU Overclocking

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

AMD GPU Overclocking

Hello all,

I am trying to overclock my Vega 56 using this tutorial: https://www.maketecheasier.com/overclock-amd-gpu-linux/

However after I run this command:
    Code:
    sudo echo "5" >> /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od
    I get this error:
    Code:
    bash: /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od: Permission denied

I have even tried editing the file using sudo vim but the system overwrites any changes.

I found this page: https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...r-on-archlinux
    But it does not make sense.

Here is some more information:
    NoPermissions.pngNoPermissions2.png

Everybody else seems to be able to write to this file. Why can't I? What am I doing wrong?
    He who asks is a fool for five seconds, but he who does not ask is a fool forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: AMD GPU Overclocking

I don't think that the person that wrote that tutorial tested their instructions.

That command says to run the echo command as root and then use bash - your shell, running as your normal user - to open /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od, which it doesn't have permission to do. Your privilege elevation is the wrong way round.

Instead, you want to run echo as your normal user, and write to the file as root.

Something more like this

Code:
    echo "5" | sudo tee -a /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od
    should work better.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I don't think that the person that wrote that tutorial tested their instructions.

That command says to run the echo command as root and then use bash - your shell, running as your normal user - to open /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od, which it doesn't have permission to do. Your privilege elevation is the wrong way round.

Instead, you want to run echo as your normal user, and write to the file as root.

Something more like this

Code:
    echo "5" | sudo tee -a /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_sclk_od
    should work better.
    I just tried that with no success. I don't think this problem is going to be that simple to fix.
    He who asks is a fool for five seconds, but he who does not ask is a fool forever.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

I'm an nvidia girl, so I don't have any experience of the AMD side, but I do remember reading that tools have been released for playing with the clock speeds and voltages without having to poke at memory values.

The Arch wiki says that in order to change the settings by poking at memory values you need to have enabled that function at boot time by adding a parameter to your kernel line. You don't mention having done that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I'm an nvidia girl, so I don't have any experience of the AMD side, but I do remember reading that tools have been released for playing with the clock speeds and voltages without having to poke at memory values.

The Arch wiki says that in order to change the settings by poking at memory values you need to have enabled that function at boot time by adding a parameter to your kernel line. You don't mention having done that.
    I will take a look at that. Thank you.