Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 18.04 Installation Doesn't Detect NVMe Drive (Dual Boot)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: 18.04 Installation Doesn't Detect NVMe Drive (Dual Boot)

If you are skipping to sda5, then you must have MBR.
    Windows only boots in BIOS mode from MBR and only in UEFI from gpt partitioned drives.
    UEFI strongly suggests gpt, but Ubuntu will let you install in UEFI mode to a MBR partitioned drive (probably should not).
    But you cannot dual boot from same drive if Windows is BIOS and UBuntu is UEFI.

Both Windows & Ubuntu install in the Boot mode you select to boot install media. And both systems then need to be in same boot mode.
    Microsoft has required vendors to use UEFI/gpt since Windows released in 2012, so new hardware is all UEFI. UEFI has BIOS mode only for backwards compatibility as some large companies may want to keep all systems in same mode until they upgrade everything.

If you just installed Windows, I might suggest reinstalling it. But installing Windows is a hassle compared to Ubuntu. I now can install Ubuntu in UEFI mode to a partition already created in less than 10 minutes. My one Windows system took most of the afternoon to do the upgrade from older version.
    But very new hardware will be supported better by Windows as that is the major market. It can take a while for the Linux folks to update kernel & drivers for new hardware & then get it including in a distribution.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

It looks like the last installation attempt I just did broke my Win10 install. This is fine since I only built the machine recently. Since I broke the Win10 partition I figured I should try to reformat the drive altogether and try to set up Ubuntu as the primary OS without any dual boot setup.

Installation was fine and the drive was detected, but upon reboot I was first stuck on a purple screen. Rebooting and setting nomodset I am now getting similar nvme IO_PAGE_FAULT errors https://imgur.com/0yY03Qt.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Are you still installing in UEFI mode?

Do you want to try 19.04 as that has much newer kernel & other support software. It just not released till April, so there is a chance that an update breaks things. I have it installed and it works fine on my system.

You install nVidia drivers normally by booting with nomodeset boot parameter. Or use recovery mode and at terminal install nVidia drive.
    Some with Intel turned off nVidia driver and easily installed with builtin Intel driver and then rebooted and installed nVidia driver & turned it back on in UEFI settings. Not sure if that would work for your AMD or not.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

I am still installing in UEFI mode, and I have been trying 19.04 for quite some time now.

I went out and bought a 250gb samsung 860 evo to see if I could get Ubuntu to install on a sata ssd at all. I unplugged all other drives (NVMe/HDD) and installation works great. However, once I log-in and reach the desktop I am immediately returned to the log-in screen after a few seconds. Additionally, the log-in screen is extremely sluggish. My guess would be to install nvidia drivers, however, this time I don't even see a grub menu appearing while booting up (it goes straight to the log-in screen), so I wouldn't know where to input the nomodset parameter.

EDIT: I figured it out. Hitting ctrl+alt+f3 sent me to a command line. Installing the latest nvidia drivers worked!

One thing that may be noteworthy is that during the driver update I was 'spammed' with hundreds of 'PKCS#7 signature not signed with a trusted key' messages. I forced a reboot but everything seems to be working smoothly (finally!)

Now to see if it still works after I plug the NVMe drive back in..
    Last edited by dfleis; March 23rd, 2019 at 03:35 AM.

Beans

With the NVMe drive in...

First boot: Stuck on purple screen for around 90sec, then reach the log-in (everything working fine).
    Second boot: Sent to grub (this hadn’t happened when the 860 evo was the only drive), then an nvme error message https://imgur.com/SGRfSnR then after about 90sec sent to the log-in screen (everything works normally when logged in).
    Third boot: See first boot.
    Fourth boot: See second boot.

I assume the pattern continues in this way. I then formatted/reinstalled Windows on the NVMe just in case some old structure was getting in the way. After installing Windows successfully and rebooting into the Ubuntu drive (860 evo) I still see the above problem.

This is quite frustrating but at least its usable in a sense.

Beans

This post has a solution to one of the NVMe errors in your image:
    https://askubuntu.com/questions/1099...pst-feature-19
    Good luck.
    Last edited by Dennis N; March 23rd, 2019 at 07:54 AM.

Beans

I have an nvidia G-Force, and due to a problem with windows I decided to install Linux on my computer. The only way I found to install LInux by Usb was Universal USB Installer. It's not hard to install if you have a good guide. I leave you the Universal Usb Installer download and installation guide here. I hope my experience will help you solve your problems.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12