Thread: howto compile cam drivers

Beans

howto compile cam drivers

Hi,
    my Lenovo IdeaPad Miix 320-10ICR runs ubuntu-mate 18.04 nicely except that the two cams are not being recognized. Even updating to kernel 5.02 did not help. However, I recently found 2 files on Linus' page with the corresponding ov2680.c and ov5670.c files that are supposedly the listings of the corresponding driver modules.
    Can anybody please indicate how I can compile these files and install the resulting modules!

Thanks, D-E
    Last edited by jeremy31; July 13th, 2019 at 11:53 AM. Reason: fixed font color

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Re: howto compile cam drivers

It's easier to compile and install source code than you might thihk. To compile source code, first do this:
    Code:
    apt install build-essential
    That will install everything to compile source code, but read below.

Download the files, and decompress them with an archive manager. Cd to that folder and look for a file called "configure." It is very likely to be there. Then run it:
    Code:
    ./configure
    Either all the -dev files are installed, or you will be told which files are missing. Use Synaptic to find the files, and they must end in -dev, which are the libraries that compilation uses.

Once you have all the libraries installed, the configure script will create, and tell you it is doing so, a file called "make." So,
    Code:
    make
    This command compiles the code. Some errors may be displayed, but don't worry about them. After compilation,
    Code:
    sudo make install
    This is, as I said, not all that hard. Post any problems you may have.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans

Re: howto compile cam drivers

Hi oldrocker99,
    please forgive me for coming back to you only now! Thanks a lot, but can you please give me some more hints how to proceed from here:
    https://github.com/torvalds/linux/bl...a/i2c/ov2680.c. I tried to git clone this repository, but it is huge and I certainly do not need to do it. So, should I just download the file shown and then follow your instructions? But there is no Makefile included...
    bw D-E