Thread: problems with virtualbox

Beans

problems with virtualbox

i am new to Ubuntu, i am using Ubuntu 18.04 lts.

the problem i am having goes like this:

i install virtualbox, in my 128gb SD and i have a 1tb hard drive, i want to use my HDD to install all the virtual machines but vitualbox keep giving me this message :
    " Cannot create the machine folder windows in the parent folder /media/user/B66C09026C08BF5D/virtual machine.

Please check that the parent really exists and that you have permissions to create the machine folder.

"
    i started looking online for a solution but i cant find the way to give virtualbox the permission to create the virtual machine in that HDD.
    can anyone help me solve this problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: problems with virtualbox

Moved to Virtualisation for a better fit.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

First possibility is that the HDD is formatted with NTFS which does not support all the Linux primitives. If you're using this drive for the first time, reformat the partition you're using to ext4. Suppose you're using /dev/sdb1 from the HDD.
    Code:
    sudo umount -f /dev/sdb1
    sudo mkfs -t ext4 /dev/sdb1
    Second possibility is that you don't have full permissions to the filesystem. After formatting, run the command

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sdb1
    cd /media/user/
    chown -R user:user B66C09026C08BF5D
    chmod -R 0755 B66C09026C08BF5D
    Some months back I bought myself a 512G SSD. Loading a Windows virtual machine from the SSD is much more responsive than from the HDD. (Don't ask about loading VMs over the network!) I only have the one VM so I put it on the SSD.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

thx i finally made it work, had to convert format , update virtual box and then run virtualbox as root to get it to work