Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Why is Windows still the dominant operating system?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Why is Windows still the dominant operating system?

Quote Originally Posted by exploder View Post
    Microsoft seems to be doing away with the bundled junk, thank goodness!
    Yeah I am so glad they download and install gigabytes of unsolicited games and applications after installation without my consent now, much better.
    Last edited by thenailedone; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:07 PM.
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris
    How to ask questions the smart way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.04 Disco Dingo

win10? - even though I am licensed for it - btdt - nope. back to win7.
    ThinkPad T530-2394-3J8, i5-3380M 2.9GHz, Multi boot (BIOS/MBR): Grub: Ubuntu 19.04 / Ubuntu 18.10 / Win7 Pro x64 . 8GB(15GB/s), Sammy 250GB SSD.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Business runs on MS Windows. I have worked for several companies over the last few decades - they all used MS Windows. There is a huge eco-system out there that develops applications that run on Windows. The consumer market is basically small potatoes compared to the commercial market.
    Cheers,
    I am not an expert on anything, but I pretend to be one at times.
    Software expands to consume available system resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Simply put, it's not. Linux runs on more computers than Windows does, worldwide, hands down. Servers, Android Phones, etc.

What I think you mean though, is why is Windows more prevalent on the home Desktop PC?

Simply put, it comes down to apps (software) and mentality.

There are certain programs out there (software) that is designed to run, and only run, on Windows. Adobe's Creative Suite is the first that comes to mind, but there are other applications as well. I used to work on a Roland SC-540EX Vinyl Printer/Cutter, and the software used for rasterizing/printing/cutting would only work on a Windows PC, along with a USB Dongle for security. Not to say it "couldn't" work on a Linux machine, but currently it does not work in WINE or any other derivation.

Proprietary Hardware, certain devices, etc., all have Windows drivers. Linux users can write a driver, or driver wrapper, with a lot of success, but still that requires effort.

Games are another aspect. And as Steam Proton / Wine has made a LOT of headway in this arena, it still comes down to running Windows software on Linux.

So, it all breaks down to Windows being dominant on the desktop because the software and games that they WANT, are available to run without having to make it run properly. And that's the mentality aspect as well.

The mentality that most people have toward Linux, is that it is a "free" version of Windows. It is not. It is a "free" operating system, that "can" run some Windows software, if you "make" it do that.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post

The mentality that most people have toward Linux, is that it is a "free" version of Windows. It is not. It is a "free" operating system, that "can" run some Windows software, if you "make" it do that.

Also, many people equate cost with value. "How can a free operating system be better than one you have to pay for?"...

It's a difficult ideological wall to scale in a capitalist, consumerist society. (Sorry, it's not my intention to get political, so I'll leave it at that. I hope everyone gets roughly what I'm saying).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    Also, many people equate cost with value. "How can a free operating system be better than one you have to pay for?"...
    I hear you. Sometimes you can equate quality with price. i.e. "You get what you pay for." And if it's free, then it can't be any good...

The best one i have heard, is that "Ubuntu is just a project that a bunch of college kids are screwing with." That one really made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    It's a difficult ideological wall to scale in a capitalist, consumerist society. (Sorry, it's not my intention to get political, so I'll leave it at that. I hope everyone gets roughly what I'm saying).
    Nah, not hard for the thinkers. And that's been my "Linux" experience, as it is. The whole "Linux" community seems to be filled with active thinkers. Thinkers seem to know how to handle problems and make work-arounds, and the like.

Cheers to the Linux community!
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Of course, you mean desktop operating system. Simply because Microsoft has invested a large amount of money to remain dominant in the PC space. When pushed, MS will absorb new/better aspects into their code base to maintain their lead. Note that Windows 10 is investigating including a complete Linux kernel in their Linux compatibility layer.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456