Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Windows still the dominant operating system?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Why is Windows still the dominant operating system?

How many computer users even know something like Ubuntu exists, much less that it's free and will probably do everything they need?

Windows gets preinstalled on many new machines - many can't / won't work through an o/s install.

And the cutesy names they apply instead of just Ub 14.04, Ub 18.04 etc., doesn't help anything, it's confusing to those unfamiliar.
    Last edited by QIII; March 29th, 2019 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Corrected typo --> "Windows"

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ra7411 View Post
    And the cutesy names they apply instead of just Ub 14.04, Ub 18.04 etc., doesn't help anything, it's confusing to those unfamiliar.
    Maybe, though I really think they're useful. I first used Ubuntu (Breezy) in 2005-- that's half the number, 05. what was the rest? I could look it up but there are 2 versions each year. I know it was Breezy. I recall far more versions based on names than the numbers.

Other people who do the names: Debian (Toy Story names) Devuan (Celestial bodies) Trisquel (Deities of ancient mythology-- which could easily overlap with Devuan) and even macOS (Big cats, and other things) so I'm not sure Ubuntu is barking up the wrong tree with that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Because it is first thing they introduce in schools when you talk about "Computers"

Generally people are just lazy if it requires learning new things if something can be kept constant with just little money.
    Please mark the thread as ''solved'' if your query has been resolved.
    How to: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPo.../SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by ra7411 View Post
    The version names are year.month. Perfectly straightforward. The descriptive names are only for development, and were initially related to the goals of each release: the initial release was Warty, the first LTS - where the main focus was polish - was Dapper, and so on. Since then the development codenames have become just a bit of fun. The official version names are the numbers, though, and always have been.

Beans

First: Why would I care if everyone else in the world uses Linux? I don't want everyone in the world to use the same thing. I do not even slightly believe that one size fits all. People should use what appeals to them, or what fulfills their needs.

Second: All these companies you guys are talking about as the enemy? They're platinum members of the Linux Council. Just browse the "platinum members" for a few minutes and think about it. https://www.linuxfoundation.org/membership/members/

Before any of you thinks that platinum membership in the Linux Council means that the companies really like Linux, consider that these companies now have the best influence over the path Linux chooses that money can buy. Microsoft pays a huge sum of money for that influence, every year. https://www.datacenterknowledge.com/...y-linux-system

After you get done with that, use Google to search on "embrace extend extinguish" and ponder the fact that the term was first used outside of Microsoft in 1996, and the fact that it's still used there today without shame or secrecy.

Beans

I might also point out that of those platinum members, at least one of them considers Linux to be its biggest competitor. At least one of them is strongly suspected to embed spyware into their consumer devices. Several others are frequently spoken of on this and other Linux forums as some sort of enemy, with widely publicized incidents provided as examples.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by LastDino View Post
    Generally people are just lazy if it requires learning new things if something can be kept constant with just little money.
    then why aren't more people using MS windows on their phones?

if new things are easy to learn, fun and can do things people want them to do, then people will use that instead.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    I might also point out that of those platinum members, at least one of them considers Linux to be its biggest competitor. At least one of them is strongly suspected to embed spyware into their consumer devices. Several others are frequently spoken of on this and other Linux forums as some sort of enemy, with widely publicized incidents provided as examples.
    I see who you're talking about there.

To the OP, I have worked in the support field long enough to know that most people can barely use Windows and I would never wish our Linux support systems with having to help them with Linux. You'd probably never imagine there are people who don't understand how to use tabbed browsing, but I had a few calls a week from people who couldn't do that. I remoted into one of them's computer to show them how to use it and their response was worthy enough to get my call and screen recording to become part of our new peoples' training. In today's world, many end users have as hard a time doing basic skills on a computer as they do checking the tire pressures on their cars. I can't fathom those users trying to repartition their computer to start the install process.

Beans

I've recently become a fan of XFCE. It is clean and easy to use. Very reliable lately as well. That being said, even though I find it to be the best DE I've personally used, it still feels like an afterthought. That is one problem that Linux has that Windows doesn't. They have a vision for their environment, we don't. We have a truckload of competing visions, none of which are even close to the refined user experience on a Windows machine. About the only thing that Linux has in the DE department that others don't, or didn't until recently is the virtual desktops.

One major problem is the GTK vs QT argument. Yes we have both. Yay choice. Unfortunately the downside is apps never quite look right in the opposing environment. They look totally out of place. Ruins the immersion and coherence.

Another major problem that I personally see. To much choice. I know people don't agree with me but we just have to much going on. The effort of the entire community is diluted horribly. How many total DE's / WM's are there? I can guess and say 30-40? On Windows everyone is focused on making a single DE perfect. On linux we are focused on 30-40 different ones at the same time. End result? None are very polished. Most leave a lot to be desired in my experience (I've distro and DE hopped repeatedly for the last couple years). Don't even get me started on "simple text editors". We have enough of those to sink a battleship.

One more problem, again no one will agree with. To many distros. Yes we all love choice. But it is flat out overwhelming for anyone. Personally I stick to the big ones because I know from experience they will give me the least trouble. However for a newcomer who does have the thought to question what runs on their computer they get told to go to distrowatch. How many current distros are there? It's out of control and ridiculous. I was told that and almost walked away when I first started. It was just to much. Most people aren't as curious as I am though. They see a list like that and say screw it.

Last problem I can think of is themes. I love themes on my desktop. I change practically everything. But in nearly every DE I've tried regardless of theme choice, they are never perfect. Always something missing. It breaks the whole theme imo when this happens. Prime example for me was the app selector close button on the top left of unity. No matter what theme you picked, that never changed. It was always that horrible orange brown color. KDE also suffers from this as well to a great extent, presumably because of the GTK / QT issue.

Those are off the top of my head.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; April 2nd, 2019 at 07:01 PM.

Beans

linux myths, installed on most computers and has the biggest advertising.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast