Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is Windows still the dominant operating system?

Beans

Re: Why is Windows still the dominant operating system?

I love Linux and open source. It has let me do many things around my home that I used to only dream of. I love my media server and boxes around the house. That being said, as far as desktop use I find it a royal pain in my ass. I use it, and get my work done but it is frustrating. It's like I always have to put up with it rather than just love it. One day something works, the next it doesn't. No real explanation, spend hours googling only to reboot and it's working again. I've tried using all flavors of Ubuntu as well as Debian (don't know much about others). I have simply had no full success with my laptop, always something I have to just "live with". My wife has none of this stuff going on. We put Windows 10 on her machine and she uses it half the day 5 days a week. No trouble whatsoever. The only thing I do to her computer is reboot it weekly. Otherwise, it updates and takes care of itself. I almost never touch it.

I have learned a great deal I think by running Linux on my laptop for the last 4-5 years. But I am honestly in the market to sell my laptop, downgrade to something smaller and more portable. Possibly a Chromebook. But even if I get a regular, just smaller laptop, I won't be putting Linux on it. Tired of the effort.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; March 19th, 2019 at 05:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post
    I have learned a great deal I think by running Linux on my laptop for the last 4-5 years. But I am honestly in the market to sell my laptop, downgrade to something smaller and more portable. Possibly a Chromebook. But even if I get a regular, just smaller laptop, I won't be putting Linux on it. Tired of the effort.
    I don't think this will change your opinion, but I have to point out that the past 4-5 years are some of the worst for the platform. And I don't just mean Ubuntu. 2007 for example, was a pretty sweet spot when it seemed like everything was getting better, not worse. Right now, it seems like every day is like you said.

Your sentiment is common among newbies, but for Ubuntu for example, I go back to Breezy. And i think it probably worked better than Penguin-- or whatever P animal they went with, because I still can't believe they skipped Penguin (or GNU.) How did that even happen? Well, it's a new decade. Maybe they will do GNU and Penguin this time. It seems fairly obtuse not to.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Who cares.
    In my world Linux is dominant and that's all that matters.

Beans

I don't think this will change your opinion, but I have to point out that the past 4-5 years are some of the worst for the platform. And I don't just mean Ubuntu. 2007 for example, was a pretty sweet spot when it seemed like everything was getting better, not worse. Right now, it seems like every day is like you said.

Your sentiment is common among newbies, but for Ubuntu for example, I go back to Breezy. And i think it probably worked better than Penguin-- or whatever P animal they went with, because I still can't believe they skipped Penguin (or GNU.) How did that even happen? Well, it's a new decade. Maybe they will do GNU and Penguin this time. It seems fairly obtuse not to.

Possibly. I don't know though if I should wait and hold on hoping for the next good run, or move on to something I know won't give me any crap.

For what it's worth, I'm fairly certain my issues are DE related. My server is 100% rock solid. To borrow a statement I heard someone say about Debian, "It's so stable it hardly breathes." I have zero problems with it. Laptop / Desktop however, little things that irritate me to no end. And I can never seem to fix them, most of the time I post on forums about various issues and get either no response else "never seen that before". It's frustrating.

Maybe it will come back to a good years for the platform, but how long does one put up with problems in hope of something better. Especially when you see the computer next to you working perfectly day in and day out. I don't like Windows, hate it rather. But I cannot deny the reliability it is giving my wife. She just uses her computer. I have to constantly tinker and fiddle to make mine work, and even after that I still have to "put up with" some things that I simply cannot change. I don't have the frame of reference of a better time, last 4-5 years being my only time with Linux.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; March 19th, 2019 at 03:58 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Tadaen_Sylvermane View Post

I have to constantly tinker and fiddle to make mine work, and even after that I still have to "put up with" some things that I simply cannot change.
    It is all a question of accepting the environment you work in. Personally I don't tweak things and I live with certain limitations. Of course LibreOffice isn't Office but then again it's good enough - for me.

The real problem is a system that's unstable and where problems hinder normal functioning. Standard Ubuntu - even in the non-LTS - is rather stable and if you never had any problems with Windows consider yourself lucky.

And by the way, in Windows there are also things you really can't change. But hey, It's Windows. Who would want to change that?

Beans

I've always had trouble accepting anything when it comes to computers I guess. I won't debate your point, you are definitely correct about that. Grass is always greener and so forth.

Therefore, my problem is me . Not linux / windows.
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; March 19th, 2019 at 11:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I had to chime in on this one. I am a Windows and Linux sysadmin by day, and an almost pure Linux user by night. I am also an avid gamer, which is quite a problem since that has always been a huge hurdle for Linux. Most AAA titles simply don't make Linux-compatible clients causing this sticky booger/bogey syndrome where a Linux user is forced to keep a Windows machine running somewhere (refusing to let go of its owner, thus the syndrome) so he/she can play those huge titles. Most of this has changed over the last several years with Steam, Play on Linux, Wine innovations, etc. really coming up-to-speed with modern gaming.

I believe the next major breakthrough for folks like me is most likely cloud gaming. Things like nVidia's GeForce Now allow gamers to play many titles on a cloud-based VM instance that minimize the video and CPU requirements in exchange for a huge need for a big internet connection. They currently do not have a Linux client, but if they ever create one, then it will be Game Over for a LOT of Windows boxes out there (pun intended).

For open-source purists, this may not be the great news they were waiting for, but that was not the question I am answering here. The question was, "Why is Windows still the dominant operating system", so I must ignore open-source purity for the time being, considering most of these solutions have tons of proprietary code in them. Either way, enjoy your computer and remember to make it do what YOU want it to do. With advancements in AI, it may not be that way forever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

or google's stadia.

but yes, overall gaming is still problematic. just the other day i wanted to install some old windows games to the Linux side of the PC. just as test to see if i could get off the windows completely in the future. also winXP could no longer run on latest pc i guess (not counting virtualization).

anyway i did install: Arx Fatalis, UT2004, Hearts of iron 2 and Torchlight before. all with gol/platinum rating. you unpack the GOG game and it works. so far so good. excelent user experience (could be a bit better) but ok. mostly install and play.
    over the weekend i tried to install Morrowind and Oblivion. i had Morrowind on 14.04, so i knew it could be done. both games have platinum rating on wine website. so off we go. morrowind, launched and crashed, oblivion launched and crashed. how is that platinum rating? platinum is torchlight. install and play, no issues whatsoever. then i remember openMW project and see that it is also suggested on UESP website. so i use that. ok it all works, yay i can play morrowind. time to transfer the saved files an continue where i left. ah but that is not supported (at least not at the moment).

so recap - games that practically worked out of the box on linux suddenly don't. Play on linux might save the day, but their install scripts do not work and it is useless at the moment. so the time has not yet come to abandon WinXP on this old clunker. but more importantly my son would like to play games and it is hard for me to advise him to get linux if i know that many games do not work or that they do work but they might not work next month.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Renewable subscriptions for office are Microsoft's largest source of revenue followed by server products and services, then Xbox, and finally Windows. The largest source of income being dependent on the operating system and Mac users both residential and commercial who subscribe to MSO. Gaming is one issue, but there other types of software that won't run on Linux with wine or crossover. My examples include Garmin Express and Phone Tray which is used to block robotic political and marketing calls.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 23rd, 2019 at 02:29 AM.
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

I love Linux and have been using it exclusively since 2010 when XP support was discontinued for home users. I had experimented with it on an old computer that was gathering dust so I knew what I was getting into. In my case I liked it enough that my two most recent computer purchases were a System 76 laptop and a Zareason desktop. The only issue that bothers me with Linux is sometimes programs and hardware lose functionality for no apparent reason. When that happens things just stop working out of the blue like for instance my onboard sound and memory card reader on my Zareason desktop just quit working after I upgraded to 18.04. I had a Scarlett 2i2 USB audio interface I wasn't using anymore since I bought a stand alone 24 track so instead of going through the hassle of asking about my sound on the forum and having to stumble through entering terminal commands and posting the results I just hooked up the 2i2 and use it as an external sound device. As far as my card reader, and this computer was only about six months old when this happened, I bought a USB media card reader to read the cards out of my 24 track and switched to loading photos from my digital SLR to the computer using the camera's USB cable. I suppose that if I did a fresh install my sound would probably come back but I won't go through all that hassle when I've got better sound with this USB device than the onboard sound on my motherboard.

Anyways, that is the one irritating thing about Ubuntu is having stuff work for months or years then suddenly stop. I've built my own boxes in the past and know how to identify hardware failures and I'm sure that these two things stopped working due to some change in 18.04. The annoying thing is having to drop everything and get stuck in that loop where I'm having to post terminal commands and paste info in the message and take days or weeks to resolve these kinds of issues. My opinion about operating systems before switching to Ubuntu (and have tried Mint as well), is that people only think about operating systems when they don't work. I sat at a computer all day for years before I retired last fall and it was all Windows starting with 3.1 through 7. Nobody thought about the operating system until it crashed or caused problems otherwise it was out of sight, out of mind.

I have an old Dell laptop that I went through a week of hell over trying to get the wifi to work and an Epson printer that was difficult to setup as well. Both just worked in XP. Also I always used to network my home computers in Windows and ran a network in my home for years. I still haven't figured out how to get file sharing to work on my home network with Linux and doing that in Windows was so easy and intuitive that I just did it first time without even having to research how to do it. To translate my experience to the average person, nobody is going to run an OS where they can't figure out simple things and have to pay someone to setup their printer or get their wifi working or dig into terminal commands. I have built these things, sat in front of one all day every day for decades before I retired and never had to take one somewhere to have simple tasks done for me. As much as I like and appreciate Ubuntu (and all of the distros) I think until every routine setup issue is as easy as it was in Windows and Mac and doesn't involve working in terminal or trying to install things not packaged in an exe that it's going to scare most people off. For most of the masses their operating system is an after thought and they just expect things to work and not have to struggle with hardware issues that would be simple in another OS.
    Last edited by Stan_Meissner; March 28th, 2019 at 10:07 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast