Thread: This sub-forum only has 14 (now 15) threads?

Beans
    Hidden!

This sub-forum only has 14 (now 15) threads?

As per the title, why does this sub-forum only have 14 15 threads in it?!
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris
    How to ask questions the smart way

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: This sub-forum only has 14 (now 15) threads?

Sorry, but the Gaming and Leisure forum, if that's the one you are asking about, has 126 threads at the moment.

Where did you get that figure of 14/15?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The Gaming & Leisure sub-forum - the one you are asking about - is for technical support.

Thread moved to Forum Feedback & Help.

Are you saying that only 14 or 15 threads are listed in the Gaming & Leisure sub-forum? From what I can see there are currently 1185 pages of up to 20 threads each available to view in Gaming & Leisure, making a total of 23,696 viewable threads! Which is a tad more than 14, or even 15 for that matter.

Perhaps you could describe in more details what you are seeing, perhaps with a screenshot.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ah - um. If I log out, I can only see 15 threads. That's unexpected. I'll investigate. Thanks for noticing.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I also have checked this and could only see 14/15 threads.

Changing the 'Thread Display' options at the bottom of the page from 1 month to the beginning changed the number of visible threads.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks, @westie457. You've saved me from a soul-destroying trawl through adminCP. My first thought was a permissions problem. We have a labyrinthine permissions setup in different sub-forums, and sometimes oddities surface like this. I'm glad it's more straightforward than that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Thanks, @westie457. You've saved me from a soul-destroying trawl through adminCP. My first thought was a permissions problem. We have a labyrinthine permissions setup in different sub-forums, and sometimes oddities surface like this. I'm glad it's more straightforward than that.
    Yes, indeed, thank you westie457.
    My figure of 126 was for the past 12 months which is my default display setting.

Beans
    Hidden!

Cool catch. I see that it is still defaulting to last month but if I change it I can see them all. (Sorry, should have posted to the correct sub-forum)
    Gaming on Linux has never been better - Check out Proton on Steam (great user made Proton Database) and Lutris

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

For the record...

I’ve done a bit more digging and come up with some useful information. Since I’ve never had reason to use this feature for myself, and since I don’t remember it coming up in discussion here either, this was a bit of a journey of discovery into the further reaches of the vbulletin software. Believe me, when I used the word labyrithine earlier, I could have been referring to the whole of vbulletin. Here be dragons!

There are three sets of settings that can affect how many threads are visible. Each below overrides the one previous to it.

1. In adminCP we can set default view age for each and every forum and sub-forum. For most, the view age is set to “show all threads”. The Gaming & Leisure sub-forum was set to “show threads from last month” which explains why some were only seeing 15 threads. There are a handful of other forums with similar anomalies. The reasons for this have disappeared in the mists of time, and perhaps were simply errors when the sub-forums were first set up, and which were not noticed. I have changed Gaming & Leisure to “show all threads” so that should make all 23000+ threads visible unless you have different settings as described below.

I will take the other anomalous settings up with the other admins to see if we want to change them all to “show all threads”.

2. In your profile settings (Settings → General Settings → Default Thread Age Cut Off) you can select “Use Forum Default”, “Show All Threads”, or one of a number of time periods. This overrides 1.

3. Under “Thread Display Options” near the bottom of any sub-forum page you can select various time periods, including “Beginning” for all threads. This overrides 2, but with limitations. It is only for the sub-forum you are currently viewing. If you open another browser tab and navigate to a different sub-forum, you will see the default view age or your profile thread age cutoff. Furthermore, if you go back to the first browser tab and navigate away from the page whose setting you have changed, and then back to that page again, the thread display option will revert back to the default or your profile choice.

Beans
    Hidden!

Thanks coffeecat. This was definitely not the default setting last year when I posted some threads in the Gaming section. But thanks for fixing it