Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to VLC and still learning Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Kylin 18.04 Bionic Beaver

New to VLC and still learning Ubuntu

I am unable to play DVD's on my HP Laptop (running bionic beaver) and I am lost trying to understand the language used on help seekers' previous threads.

When I open VLC media player and insert the DVD into the laptop's internal DVD /CD drive I get:-
    HTML Code:
    Playback failure:
    DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/sr0".
    Your input can't be opened:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/sr0'. Check the log for details.
    Can someone please help in simple language please what I need to do

Alan

Beans

Re: New to VLC and still learning Ubuntu

What is on the DVD? Music, home movie, commercial video ...?

Beans
    Distro

It's a DVD bought in the UK from a reputable store and is the movie "Paddington 2".

Alan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I've never done anything but put the disk in the player, and VLC comes up with the disk menu. If not, the disk will show on the desktop. Right-click and choose "Open with VLC," and you should be okay.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: New to VLC and still learning Ubuntu

Alas I have tried that several times, all to no avail!

The disk is clearly shown on the desktop, and when I request "open" a VLC window appears with two items
    VIDEO_TS
    AUDIO_TS

If I select VIDEO_TS, it then shows a list of files and if I select all it comes back with:
    HTML Code:
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///media/harfin/PADDINGTON_2/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB'. Check the log for details.
    VLC is unable to open the MRL 'file:///media/harfin/PADDINGTON_2/VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_0.VOB'. Check the log for details.
    [COLOR=#000000]
    [/COLOR]
    Grrrrrrr

Beans

How did you install vlc? If it is a snap (installed via the Software Store) then apparently it has some difficulties accessing external media (may include DVD drive) because of sandboxing. If that is the case remove it from the software store and install the .deb with apt
    Code:
    sudo apt install vlc
    and see if it helps.

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: New to VLC and still learning Ubuntu

Sorry, but no it doesnt.

I did as you said, but the DVD still does not play.

Just to cross check, I tried a couple of other shop-bought DVD's, and it's the same story. Insert the DVD,The DVD icon pops up on the desktop, but clicking it although it opens VLC the DVD just will not play except for an instantaneous nano-seconds of a buzz then all is quiet.

I don't as a norm buy DVD videos, except for the odd item that I wish to save for posterity.

I should add that I haven't utilised the facility of playing DVD's on the laptop since I installed Bionic Beaver a few months back. Is that significanT?

Alan

Beans
    Hidden!

As this is a commercially purchased DVD it is most likely the DVD is encrypted and you probably still need libdvdcss installed.

See https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Re...ts/PlayingDVDs for all the details and how to do it.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Thank you for reminding me to check whether DVD-playback works ... I set this machine up 2 years ago and had no need of it in all that time. Of course it didn't work. What was missing in my case was the library for CSS (content scrambling system) decoding. Commercial DVDs are partially encrypted. This is both a (half-hearted) attempt at copy protection and a way to make producers of DVD-players pay for a license from the DVD-consortium, so they'll get a key to decrypt the discs. The conditions of that license make it very difficult to write an open source DVD player that has a legit key, because you can't hide the key if your source-code is openly available. Getting and installing the library from videolan.org (makers of vlc) is quite easy. First you need to add their repository to your software sources. Execute this in a terminal
    Code:
    echo 'deb https://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/stable/ /'|sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/vlc-dvdcss.list
    Than get the repository signing key and add it to the keys known to the package system
    Code:
    wget -O - https://download.videolan.org/pub/debian/videolan-apt.asc | sudo apt-key add -
    Now update the lists of available packages and install the library
    Code:
    sudo apt upgrade
    sudo apt install libdvdcss2
    Two problems with this:
    1. If you've installed vlc as a snap, then it can't use the library because snaps are isolated to a certain degree from the rest of the system.
    2. Depending on where you live, libdvdcss might be illegal, comparable to owning lock picks or specialized tools for breaking and entering.

Holger

Beans
    Distro

Hi Holger_Gehrke
    Thanks for that input.

After an earlier posting, I uninstalled VLC from the Ubuntu software centre, and installed it with "sudo apt install vlc" from the terminal.

I have sighted the index as you advised, but I am unsure what "the key" looks like that I need to install. If the key is a string of numbers, then is it, for example, the number "
    44462" from one item in the index, such as "libdvdcss2_1.2.13-0_amd64.deb 05-Sep-2013 15:20 44462"?

Secondly which one should I choose of the items on that list (nine in all)!

Alan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast