Thread: open a new folder

Beans

open a new folder

I have recently upgraded to version 18-4 lts and do not know how to create a new folder? any solution please.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: open a new folder

The same way as it has been on every Ubuntu release before. Either use the file manager with its menus, or use the terminal:
    Code:
    mkdir <dirname>
    If that doesn't work, there may be a permissions problem or the filesystem may be mounted read-only. Do you get an error message when you try to create a directory?

Beans
    Hidden!

It will also depend on where you want this new folder; you can make a new folder in your home easily, but in the root filesystem you will need to use command
    Code:
    sudo mkdir foldername
    However, do not mess around in the root filesystem if you do not know what you're doing.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

previously I could open a new folder on my desktop to reduce the number of files displayed simply by clicking on file at the top of the screen "add new rename etc." but this no longer appears. The file manager doe not seem to give me this option ' All windows- New window - Add to favourites - Show details - Quit " when all i want to do is open a new folder?

Beans

after searching following your advice I have discovered the way to create a folder THANK YOU.

Beans
    Hidden!

Good news!

Please mark as SOLVED from the Thread Tools menu up-top if this is now solved to your satisfaction and also let everyone know what your solution turned out to be.

It is a great help to users searching the forum.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I guess lets was looking for a way to achieve the task in the window rather than using terminal. I've just upgraded to 18.04LTS and had to get used to the many changes, especially the much reduced menu bars. To make a new folder in File Manager click the `three-lines' icon at top right for a dropdown menu, then click the icon top left in this menu (a rectangle with a + sign). Enjoy 18.04, it's great when you get used to it!

Beans
    Distro

I personally prefer keyboard shortcuts to create folders when using the graphical interface.
    The shortcut on Ubuntu 18.04 is CTRL + SHIFT + N, just open the folder where you want the new folder to be created and use the keyboard shortcut.
    It works also on the desktop.

Beans
    Distro

Keyboard shortcuts are probably even more useful in Ubuntu 18.04 than they were in 16.04. Anyone not familiar with them should open Help to get the Ubuntu Desktop Guide then search for shortcuts.

Beans

I am using from Ubuntu from 4 year..