Thread: Java Browser in 2019

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Java Browser in 2019

Hello,

I've been running into some old hardware lately that still use Java applets for their web gui. I googled around to learn that Chrome and Firefox both nixed support for NPAPI support for Java applets, meaning I can't use Java on these browsers. I tried to install the plugin to Firefox regardless, but it's not working. Firefox doesn't recognize that the plugin is installed and Java doesn't work on their test site, nor does it work on my hardware's web gui.

Does anyone know a browser that still supports Java? I also learned that Opera is in the same boat as Chrome and Firefox, so I didn't even bother installing it. If not a different browser, is there a way to make Java work with the big three (Chrome, Firefox, or Opera)?
    “It's dangerous to tell the truth, truth without power is always dangerous. And we should fight! Freedom's not an idea, it's a passion! If you haven't got it you fight like a fish out of water fighting for air!” ~Edward Bond, Lear

Beans

Re: Java Browser in 2019

If the web GUI for those devices is contained in one applet, you might find some success using the appletviewer included in the JDK. See its manpage for details. If it's a mix of HTML, javascript and multiple applets you've got a problem ...

Holger

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by timfinley View Post
    Hello,

I've been running into some old hardware lately that still use Java applets for their web gui. I googled around to learn that Chrome and Firefox both nixed support for NPAPI support for Java applets, meaning I can't use Java on these browsers. I tried to install the plugin to Firefox regardless, but it's not working. Firefox doesn't recognize that the plugin is installed and Java doesn't work on their test site, nor does it work on my hardware's web gui.

Does anyone know a browser that still supports Java? I also learned that Opera is in the same boat as Chrome and Firefox, so I didn't even bother installing it. If not a different browser, is there a way to make Java work with the big three (Chrome, Firefox, or Opera)?
    I had the same problem. My simple recipe: Firefox 51 (32-bit) under Wine 32-bit with "Windows version" = "Windows XP".

1) Install Wine and select 32-bit prefix

sudo apt-get install wine-stable
    sudo apt-get install winetricks
    export WINEARCH=win32

2) Run "winecfg" and set "Windows Version" to "Windows XP"

winecfg

3) Install ie8

winetricks ie8

4) Download Java 32-bit off-line installer from java.com and install it in "silent" mode from a terminal like so:

wine jre-8u211-windows-i586.exe /s

5) Install Firefox 51 from winetricks

winetricks firefox

6) Turn off Internet, start Firefox and disable auto-updates: Options / Advanced / Update >>> Never check for updates
    7) Turn on Internet
    8) Enjoy!

Beans

More stable recipe: Firefox 33.0.3 (32-bit) under Wine with "Windows version" = "Windows XP" and Java 7

1) Install Wine

sudo apt-get install wine-stable

2) Run "winecfg" and set "Windows Version" to "Windows XP"

4) Install Java 7 Windows x86 Offline version (https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...e7-521261.html) from a terminal like so:

wine jre-7u76-windows-i586.exe

5) Install Firefox 33.0.3 (https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/.../33.0.3/win32/) like so:

wine Firefox Setup 33.0.3.exe

6) Type "wine control", double-click Java icon and set for Java "Security Level" to "Medium"
    7) Before first start Firefox turn off Internet. Then start Firefox and disable auto-updates: Options / Advanced / Update >>> Never check for updates
    8) Turn on internet and use stable Java Browser!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

is there a way to make Java work with the big three (Chrome, Firefox, or Opera)?
    If you are open to some development work you could create an Electron app (which is Chrome browser) with Java backend.

I use Atom editor for Electron development.