Thread: Install drivers for Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (Asus laptop)

Beans

Install drivers for Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (Asus laptop)

Hello guys!

I feel a bit defeated for having to ask for help here, but seems I can't solve this on my own

I've got a new laptop (Asus ROG GL703GE-GC199) and I've tried to install Ubuntu 18.04. Everything went fine, except I froze after login. So I found solution here and it worked partially. I can now login using nouveau, but that's not proper solution. Btw, I updated kernel to 5.0, and regained functionality of Fn keys, which is cool.

Then I manually downloaded latest drivers from nvidia website (418.43), but now when I get to login screen I get into infinite loop, just gets me back there immediately when I login.

Then I found very similar thread here on the forum: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2377560

But again, it doesn't work. There is some improvement tho, now screen doesn't freeze immediately after clicking login. Now it loads desktop and freezes then

So I'd be very grateful if someone has an idea what can I attempt next?

EDIT: seems this freeze is now 'permanent', as I can't even log with nouveau.modeset=0, just freezes on desktop.
    Last edited by ViridisKnight; March 12th, 2019 at 10:49 PM.

Beans

Re: Install drivers for Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti (Asus laptop)

Omg, it's a miracle, it works!

I re-installed the system and did the steps above and now it all works for some reason. Hopefuly permanently

EDIT: Sorry for bothering y'all.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

No bother at all. Try to never use programs/drivers that are not in the official repositories: that only leads to problems.

Welcome to Ubuntu and the forums!

Beans

Duly noted