Thread: How to learn debian based linux and coding help

Beans

How to learn debian based linux and coding help

Hi,

I am really interest learning to be able to code in C. With the aim of being able to write programs in linux specifically debian based linux in and windows. Since as far as I am aware they are both written in C?

I have some questions if any could answer then I would be very grateful…

1. What book/s would be able to teach me to fully work debian based linux from beginner onwards?

ie commands, understanding the file system, where things install to?

1. A book or books starting at beginner to coding programs or at least understanding how programs are made, for debian and widows
    2. I have been saving for years to be able put myself through university in the UK, does anyone know what University course I would need to take?
    3. Would it be possible to achieve the same through Open University? Or quit my job live off my savings and teach myself through books?
    4. I have Microsoft Visual Studio what linux apps would I need to code in C for debian and windows from linux?
    5. I am interested coding in lots of things games in windows and linux, network security and other stuff, it a different skill set for each?

Many thx to anyone willing to offer advice.
    Last edited by oldos2er; March 13th, 2019 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Moved to Programming Talk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to learn debian based linux and coding help

My best advice for learning to program: https://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/10/19/ho...arn-to-program
    My best advice to learn Linux: https://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/12/28/learning-linux

I was a cross-platform developer for a decade. Unixen, Windows, MacOS - 12 platforms total. "Windows" was 1 platform though there were 3 different variants at the time. How you write cross-platform programs is complex, especially when you are too new to have the vocabulary and understanding. Work on Linux first. Trust me. Avoid programming on Windows for at least 6 months so you don't make bad habits.

The way to build C programs is basically the same across all Unix-like OSes. No need to be specific to "debian" or "Ubuntu". At the coding level, it doesn't matter.

I didn't study programming in college. I took FORTAN and BASIC in high school, then too C, C++, Intermediate C++ after I got my first real job, then attended partner company Unix and Advanced C++ training a few years later - these were all paid-for by the employer.

Unix and Linux are the IDE on each OS. You can use a tool, but the best C/C++ programmers do not. https://sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/un...-introduction/ Once you get used to it, you won't imagine wasting time in an IDE. I open 4 terminal and get at the programming.

C is hardly the best language for all programming needs, but it is a valuable language to know since pretty much every other programming language compiler or interpreter is written in C using lex and yacc as parsers. I didn't use lex or yacc until I'd been programming 5+ yrs in C.

People have become Postgressql DBAs in 3-5 months reading online help and watching youtube videos. EdX.com has courses in all sorts of things, if you feel that is needed. Don't get too caught up in classes. In technology, it is about having the skills, not some paper.

There are over 500 programming languages that have 50+ users. At least 50 different languages are commonly in use on every platform, so if you look for 1 language to rule them all, that cannot be done. As a professional programmer, you'll be learning a new language all-the-time. If you aren't, you'll soon be out of work.

Even if your job doesn't demand you learn a new language, you should, on your own time. At least 1 new language a year. At my first job, I had to learn about 20 languages that weren't used anywhere else in the world. Everything was custom, including the compilers. Generally, we used only 5 languages in any month.

Anyway, hopefully, this is helpful.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    My best advice for learning to program: https://blog.jdpfu.com/2011/10/19/ho...arn-to-program
    My best advice to learn Linux: https://blog.jdpfu.com/2014/12/28/learning-linux

I was a cross-platform developer for a decade. Unixen, Windows, MacOS - 12 platforms total. "Windows" was 1 platform though there were 3 different variants at the time. How you write cross-platform programs is complex, especially when you are too new to have the vocabulary and understanding. Work on Linux first. Trust me. Avoid programming on Windows for at least 6 months so you don't make bad habits.

The way to build C programs is basically the same across all Unix-like OSes. No need to be specific to "debian" or "Ubuntu". At the coding level, it doesn't matter.

I didn't study programming in college. I took FORTAN and BASIC in high school, then too C, C++, Intermediate C++ after I got my first real job, then attended partner company Unix and Advanced C++ training a few years later - these were all paid-for by the employer.

Unix and Linux are the IDE on each OS. You can use a tool, but the best C/C++ programmers do not. https://sanctum.geek.nz/arabesque/un...-introduction/ Once you get used to it, you won't imagine wasting time in an IDE. I open 4 terminal and get at the programming.

C is hardly the best language for all programming needs, but it is a valuable language to know since pretty much every other programming language compiler or interpreter is written in C using lex and yacc as parsers. I didn't use lex or yacc until I'd been programming 5+ yrs in C.

People have become Postgressql DBAs in 3-5 months reading online help and watching youtube videos. EdX.com has courses in all sorts of things, if you feel that is needed. Don't get too caught up in classes. In technology, it is about having the skills, not some paper.

There are over 500 programming languages that have 50+ users. At least 50 different languages are commonly in use on every platform, so if you look for 1 language to rule them all, that cannot be done. As a professional programmer, you'll be learning a new language all-the-time. If you aren't, you'll soon be out of work.

Even if your job doesn't demand you learn a new language, you should, on your own time. At least 1 new language a year. At my first job, I had to learn about 20 languages that weren't used anywhere else in the world. Everything was custom, including the compilers. Generally, we used only 5 languages in any month.

Anyway, hopefully, this is helpful.
    hi, thanks for the advice..

could you tell me what programming languages do you need to create apps in...

1. debian based os's
    2. windows

c#, python?

thx again

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jebi View Post
    hi, thanks for the advice..

could you tell me what programming languages do you need to create apps in...

1. debian based os's
    2. windows

c#, python?

thx again
    No, I cannot. There is no NEED. It is your choice. Lacking any other knowledge, use python. Python isn't the best language, always, but "create apps" is extremely vague.

Beans

And just a note:
    C# is primarily made for Windows. I mean there are ways to get C# applications to run/compile on Linux/Ubuntu, but unless you already come from C#, there is no point in learning that if you plan to program for Linux.
    The C-languages you'll want to learn (eventually) are either C (very low level, but relatively easy to learn. But build big software is hard and requires a lot of discipline. Typically only one way to write something) or C++ (low to high level, modern, hard to learn. But building software is easier. Though writing fast/good software can be difficult, as there often are many ways to write something but only one or two "correct" ways).

And Python is a good choice for beginners.
    Bash scripting is also something you should look into. The bash is the glue between applications. With proper scripting skills/knlowledge you can use existing programs to create what you need without having to write it from scatch.