Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Usb wifi dongle recommendations please

Beans

Re: Usb wifi dongle recommendations please

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    Isn't this an ISP and router problem? Shouldn't you take it up with them?
    well we will have to go back to them, it doesn't make sense, my old laptop works with linux or windows, two android phones work and at 5ghz, dads pc tablet (ipad i think) , mums laptop, but dads old laptops, my usb wifi, two pci express cards see it and dont connect, very bizarre!

Dad has incidentally asa result f one of his laptops not connecting googled it too and he says its a POS lol.but sadly he doesn't use his laptops much if at all, he uses his pc near the router (wired so no issues) and his pc tablet (which connects) so who knows if he will demand a better one or whatever, i will have to talk to him when he gets back home.

Beans

come to think of it if my zenithink pc tablet dont connet then thats not cool either i shall check tomorrow

Beans

OK well I have some GREAT NEWS!

MY computer connecting to the router has now been SOLVED!!!

I used BTs wifi extender to link to my laptop (wifi to ethernet bridge ie putting cable into laptop and the wifiplug in the wall extender) and it had issues, it could see the router but had no internet access. It had a "fix network connections" helper which I ran and surprisingly it said although it had an IP address but there was a problem.. I had remembered there was a command you type into command prompt to get a new IP address and looked it up and it worked!

The command was

ipconfig /release

then do

ipconfig /renew

et voila!

Also what I don't understand is why when putting the wifi adapter onto the linux machine it then connected to the router, obviously this was an IP address issue at the router end, which I had restarted this morning (though didn't make any changes to settings). The weird thing is though the router was set to auto ip addressing so I dont understand why this was ever an issue? I was able to then have not only my usb wifi device on my ubuntu box but a pci e wifi card too! However, it appeared to slow down my connection to the net to have both, just using the netgear wifi gave me 28.85dl and 9.4 ul, however the connection to the router itself is like 50, so perhaps this is a limitation of 2.4ghz?

Anyway this is fast enough for me so I am a very happy chappy! Though I hope there are 5ghz wifi devices for linux out there.

Thank you so much to all of you for your help in this I appreciate your time and patience!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456