Thread: HP bios upgrade initiated on dualboot without running Windows

HP bios upgrade initiated on dualboot without running Windows

I've got a weird, scary situation where my laptop, HP Pavilion started a bios upgrade after a reboot from ubuntu, after which the grub boot-loader had become overruled by the windows boot loader, hence making Ubuntu unreachable. Luckily I found an easy way to get back to grub. But this scenario does make it unreliable.

Why do I post it here in 'security', well, because as far as I know, HP-support, which probably started the bios upgrade, is a Windows tool which obviously is not installed on Ubuntu, which in turn should not be able to initiate a bios-update when windows is not running.

It is a dual-boot, win 10 and ubuntu, so my question is, is there some background windows process going on while running ubuntu? How can I disable the automatic bios updates if it's not triggered by HP-Support?
    I'm a musician, want to use my laptop in live shows, but when unexpectedly a bios update starts when booting up, and my ubuntu becomes unreachable, it's of not much use. On top of that it is in my opinion a security issue, because I, or the operating system are clearly not in control of the machine when this happens.

thanks,
    Bart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: HP bios upgrade initiated on dualboot without running Windows

Linux is starting to support UEFI updates.
    https://fwupd.org/lvfs/devicelist
    But it only shows a few HP systems, so far.

HP typically has a lot of .efi boot files in the ESP - efi system partition. But not sure what would trigger a UEFI/BIOS update.
    I would think you have to start the update from within UEFI.

Do you still have /EFI/Microsoft folder in ESP? And would system somehow default to that before starting grub?
    Post this:
    sudo efibootmgr -v

Some have posted that using efibootmgr (which grub uses) to reset boot order, does not stick with HP. But if UEFI is updated, then changing order in UEFI does stick and Ubuntu can be default.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

If your HP device is still within the factory support period there will be driver updates of various kinds until that ends. You may have something like the HP support assistant on your system which checks for software from HP.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 9th, 2019 at 02:53 AM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Sorry for the late reply, another PC has issues, trying to fix that one too now between my several jobs :-/ .

In the mean time I had a 'mokmanager not found' issue after installing the nvidia proprietary drivers. I want to use my HDMI port (still doesn't work, and before the summer the nvidia card caused a black screen after login, so I was forced to only use the intel graphics, but those are different issues, nvidia now works, but still no HDMI)
    I got the mokmanager solved after running the onboard HP "system check"-system. After checking (no changes were made) it switched to the windows boot manager again.
    This time I had to change the efi boot order in the BIOS settings.

Here is the output of efibootmgr -v:
    BootCurrent: 0001
    Timeout: 0 seconds
    BootOrder: 0001,3001,0000,2001,2002,2004
    Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,GPT,41877807-eeac-4f2d-833b-2f2f204f7447,0x800,0x82000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)RC
    Boot0001* ubuntu HD(1,GPT,41877807-eeac-4f2d-833b-2f2f204f7447,0x800,0x82000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)RC
    Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,GPT,41877807-eeac-4f2d-833b-2f2f204f7447,0x800,0x82000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B .C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{.9.d.e.a.8.6.2.c.-.5.c.d.d.-.4.e.7.0.-.a.c.c.1.-.f.3.2.b.3.4.4.d.4.7.9.5.}....................
    Boot2001* EFI USB Device RC
    Boot2002* EFI DVD/CDROM RC
    Boot3001* Internal Hard Disk or Solid State Disk RC

Reading this there seem to be two windows boot managers...

grtz,
    Bart

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

One of your Windows entries is really Windows using bootmgfw.efi and the other is using grubx64.efi.

Code:
     Boot0000* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,GPT,41877807-eeac-4f2d-833b-2f2f204f7447,0x800,0x82000)/File(\EFI\Microsoft\Boot\bootmgfw.efi)RC 

Boot0002* Windows Boot Manager HD(1,GPT,41877807-eeac-4f2d-833b-2f2f204f7447,0x800,0x82000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)WINDOWS.........x...B .C.D.O.B.J.E.C.T.=.{
    Years ago one of the work arounds for HP was to use grub or shim with Windows description. HP internally has UEFI use description as part of UEFI boot and only valid description is "Windows Boot Manager". But Windows update usually overwrote that entry. We then found the hard drive entry worked, so stopped creating the Windows description one.

Many with HP and UEFI update, say it works so HP may have removed that description limit. It was a violation of UEFI spec that says not to use description as part of boot. They also say that using efibootmgr to change boot order does not seem to work, but using HP's UEFI will let you change boot order.

See
    man efibootmgr

You can delete the old Windows entry using grub.
    sudo efibootmgr -v
    The "-v" option displays all the entries so you can confirm you're deleting the right one, and then you use the combination of "-b ####" (to specify the entry) and "-B" (to delete it). Examples #5 is delete:, with Ubuntu you need sudo, others must be at root. some need all 4 hex chars, others only need significant digits
    sudo efibootmgr -b XXXX -B
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.