Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Beans
    9

    Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    if this is in the wrong section, I do appologise, I be happy if it was moved.

    OK, so I'm not new with stuff, but all I can see is names that is presented with me, and no google fu can come up with an answer, so searching here gives me only 4 items with nothing to do with the "Favorites bar"

    but the issue is, after a few hours or so, the favorites bar refreshes or something, and loaded chromium is forgotten, and the icon is showing its not loaded, clicking the icon usually pulls the window front, but instead loads a new session, whilst the old session is still working fine, I have to Alt-Tab to the window instead (which can be a little annoying tabbing though several windows over a single click.)

    so on that note, I don't know what you need for "Logs" and "Stats" to prove something is happening, but I do have a little screenshot:


    Shows thunderbird loaded, but the focused window chromium, not loaded in the bar..

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    Wowee! look at all the activities here boys! not even one person cares to look!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    The Left Coast of the USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    The view counter is broken. There may in fact have been hundreds of views.

    If you do not receive a reply within 12 hours, feel free to bump your thread back to the top.

    Nobody goes looking at the bottom of the sea for something that drifted down to sink into the muck. Don't blame the community if your thread gets covered.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The view counter is broken. There may in fact have been hundreds of views.

    If you do not receive a reply within 12 hours, feel free to bump your thread back to the top.

    Nobody goes looking at the bottom of the sea for something that drifted down to sink into the muck. Don't blame the community if your thread gets covered.
    yeah, good point, Le BUMP, back to the 1st page we go then

    Still happening mind you.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    still nothing? bump again..

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    Hi there. Sorry to see that you are not getting any responses for your specific problem. From your screenshot it appears you are using the gnome desktop. Although now the default desktop for Ubuntu, my impression is that probably fewer than 50% of forum members use gnome, when you consider the number that use other flavours such us Xubuntu, Mate or Lubuntu, or eccentrics such as myself who dislike gnome so much they install the now-discontinued Unity desktop. Perhaps there has been no one who would know what the problem is who has seen your thread. To increase visibility a bit, I've added the gnome prefix to your thread title.

    Although I have scant gnome desktop experience, I do have a few suggestions that may help to narrow down what the problem might be. The question in my mind is whether this is a bug in gnome, or in chromium, or whether something funky has happened with your account settings.

    Is this only affecting chromium, or do you see the same behaviour with icons for other apps? If only chromium, and if you have no objections to trying out the proprietary Chrome browser (which is 99% chromium anyway), try installing Chrome and see if you get the same thing. Chrome is not in the Ubuntu repositories; you have to download and install it from here: https://www.google.com/chrome/

    And/or try creating another account. Log into that, and see if the chromium browser icon misbehaves in the new account. If it doesn't misbehave in a new account, then it would suggest a problem in your account settings somewhere.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 18.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

    Member: Not Canonical Team

    Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Hi there. Sorry to see that you are not getting any responses for your specific problem. From your screenshot it appears you are using the gnome desktop. Although now the default desktop for Ubuntu, my impression is that probably fewer than 50% of forum members use gnome, when you consider the number that use other flavours such us Xubuntu, Mate or Lubuntu, or eccentrics such as myself who dislike gnome so much they install the now-discontinued Unity desktop. Perhaps there has been no one who would know what the problem is who has seen your thread. To increase visibility a bit, I've added the gnome prefix to your thread title.
    Well now, im using Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, so is it now a "discontinued Unity desktop?" wow. so there is no one caring to support it for another year? Seriously, its "Long Term Support", 5 year service, if ubuntu/Canonical is not living up to its promised commitments, see you all later.

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Although I have scant gnome desktop experience, I do have a few suggestions that may help to narrow down what the problem might be. The question in my mind is whether this is a bug in gnome, or in chromium, or whether something funky has happened with your account settings.
    as in my local login? possibly. not into restarting that now, i'll do that on 20.04LTS.

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Is this only affecting chromium, or do you see the same behaviour with icons for other apps? If only chromium, and if you have no objections to trying out the proprietary Chrome browser (which is 99% chromium anyway), try installing Chrome and see if you get the same thing. Chrome is not in the Ubuntu repositories; you have to download and install it from here: https://www.google.com/chrome/
    Its installed, it only happens to Chromium. not one other program. I don't use chrome for personal use, since I use multiple google accounts, and it demands and forces you to sign in the browser to that account and basically logs all your usage, that's the reason why I use Chromium. I was using firefox, till things gotten funky there (I cant remember what, but there was a major issue using it last year.)

    Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    And/or try creating another account. Log into that, and see if the chromium browser icon misbehaves in the new account. If it doesn't misbehave in a new account, then it would suggest a problem in your account settings somewhere.
    Fine fine.. that means moving at least the bookmarked and histories across so I have a reason to use it.. I'll update when I have some info.

    Anyway, its only a papercut, 3rd party even, maybe thats why its getting ignored.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sunny Southend-on-Sea
    Beans
    6,795
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    You should try to be less hostile to other users that might volunteer to help you in their own free time for no other reward.

    Quote Originally Posted by alan-james-gale View Post
    Well now, im using Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS, so is it now a "discontinued Unity desktop?" wow. so there is no one caring to support it for another year? Seriously, its "Long Term Support", 5 year service, if ubuntu/Canonical is not living up to its promised commitments, see you all later.
    Unity was a desktop environment that Canonical introduced in 2010 to unify their desktop and mobile ambitions. The mobile side never took off, so they switched to Gnome as their default with 18.04 to focus their development resources elsewhere. That has absolutely nothing to do with Long Term Support: were you using 16.04, which is still supported, Unity would still be your default.

    Your task bar issue is because you have a mismatch between the name of the .desktop file that controls the launcher and the WM_CLASS of the window that it creates. Renaming your file, or creating a new one to use, so that it matches the WM_CLASS of your application's window will make it work as the others do.
    Last edited by CatKiller; September 17th, 2019 at 02:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Mystletainn Kick!
    Beans
    10,469
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    Do you know which chromium version is installed?
    Is it the legacy apt package version?
    Or the newer snap package version?

    If installed through Software program, it's more likely the snap version.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful
    .

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Beans
    9

    Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

    Yeah, its Snap:
    Version 76.0.3809.132 (Official Build) snap (64-bit)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •