Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

Beans

Re: Favorites bar forgets window is open/loaded

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You should try to be less hostile to other users that might volunteer to help you in their own free time for no other reward.
    You're right, im sorry

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Your task bar issue is because you have a mismatch between the name of the .desktop file that controls the launcher and the WM_CLASS of the window that it creates. Renaming your file, or creating a new one to use, so that it matches the WM_CLASS of your application's window will make it work as the others do.
    should a simple "remove from favorites" and add it back be enough? or do I need to edit the "chromium_chromium.desktop" file? i don't see a WM_CLASS in it, a "StartupWMClass=chromium" maybe?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by alan-james-gale View Post
    should a simple "remove from favorites" and add it back be enough? or do I need to edit the "chromium_chromium.desktop" file? i don't see a WM_CLASS in it, a "StartupWMClass=chromium" maybe?
    I'm typing from my phone, so I can't check, but I believe the WM_CLASS of the Chromium window is "chromium_browser". You could rename the file to that, or create a new one called that with the same stuff in. There are tools that will allow you to find out the window properties of a given window but, again, I can't check just now. (Edit: from a quick search, xprop is probably what I was thinking of: you can then click on any window and it will print out all of its properties.)

Alternatively, you've already found the StartupWMClass entry, which should allow you to set the WM_CLASS to whatever you want. It doesn't actually matter what the file is called or what the class is, so long as they match: that's how the launcher keeps track of which entry gets the dot when the application is already open.
    Last edited by CatKiller; September 19th, 2019 at 01:32 AM.

Beans

ok, it says

Code:
    WM_CLASS(STRING) = "chromium", "Chromium"
    im wondering if it has 2 items written in the string, next time the bar refreshes or what ever, it thinks instead of "Chromium" it looks for "chromium" and doesn't see the other one?

PaulW2U is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I'm not sure what I can add to this thread but I have the snap version of Chromium installed and the .desktop file is called 'chromium_chromium.desktop', a naming convention that seems to apply to all snaps. The file is located in '/var/lib/snapd/desktop/applications/'.

I see 'StartupWMClass=chromium' but no 'WM_CLASS(STRING)' entry in the .desktop file. Everything is working as it should apart from the known bugs or limitations of running the snap version of Chromium. As I am aware the snap is listed correctly in menus and docks.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...field.tag=snap is a list of issues currently affecting the Chromium snap but I don't see your issue or anything similar listed.

Does the discussion on bug 1750243 help clarify what is needed in the .desktop file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So to continue diagnosis, temporarily remove the snap version and install the regular "apt" version: 'sudo apt install chromium-browser' to see if the issue also persists with that version. The snap package format is rather new, so it is not unlikely that the issue is related to the packaging format.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    So to continue diagnosis, temporarily remove the snap version and install the regular "apt" version: 'sudo apt install chromium-browser' to see if the issue also persists with that version. The snap package format is rather new, so it is not unlikely that the issue is related to the packaging format.
    I'll see how it goes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12