Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Install Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Spectre x360 13"

Beans

[Guide] Install Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Spectre x360 13"

Ubuntu 18.04 status on HP Spectre x360 13"
    • Pen, touchpad, touchscreen are all functioning after updating to mainline kernel and latest libinput
      • Caveat: After using pen, touchscreen is non-responsive temporarily

• s2idle and hibernate work, s3 is not supported
    • Fingerprint reader does not function
    • Built-in microphone does not function (BT mics work)
    • Webcam works

Guide

Booting from the USB installer

A few steps are required to get this working:
    1. Set BIOS to legacy so you can boot Ubuntu, while you're at it, update the BIOS to the latest version (important!)
    2. Insert 18.04 USB, reboot, use F9 to get into the USB boot loader

From here you can use gparted to re-partition and keep Windows, or the installer to wipe everything out.

Post install
    A lot works out of the box, however a number of steps are required to get all of the hardware functioning as expected.

Libinput drivers
    First up, is updating libinput. This is required to get the pen, touchpad, and touchscreen working in harmony. First we'll install the native Ubuntu drivers to get all the prerequisites, then we will update to version 1.12 which corrects some of the pen issues.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install -y libinput-tools xdotool
    wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libinput/1.12.6-1/+build/16328793/+files/libinput-bin_1.12.6-1_amd64.deb -O /tmp/libinput-bin.deb
    wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libinput/1.12.6-1/+build/16328793/+files/libinput-tools_1.12.6-1_amd64.deb -O /tmp/libinput-tools.deb
    wget https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libinput/1.12.6-1/+build/16328793/+files/libinput10_1.12.6-1_amd64.deb -O /tmp/libinput10.deb
    sudo apt install -y /tmp/libinput*.deb
    rm -rf /tmp/libinput*.deb
    Mainline kernel
    In addition to libinput updates, the pen and screen rotation require an updated kernel. As of this writing, kernel v5.0.0 works best. First thing is to get the latest icl firmware:
    Code:
    sudo wget https://kernel.googlesource.com/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware/+/master/i915/icl_dmc_ver1_07.bin -O /lib/firmware/i915/icl_dmc_ver1_07.bin
    Next, you'll need the newer kernel. You have three options:
    1. Mainline kernel - If you can deal with all the dmesg errors, you can use the official mainline kernel.
    2. Compile the mainline kernel with the patches applied
    3. Use my custom built kernel - You can use the custom built mainline kernel with the Spectre x360 patches applied

Option 1) Official Mainline Kernel (will get a flood of dmesg errors)
    Code:
    sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pimlie/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh/master/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh -O /usr/sbin/ubuntu-mainline-kernel
    sudo chmod +x /usr/sbin/ubuntu-mainline-kernel
    sudo ubuntu-mainline-kernel -i v5.0.3
    Option 2) Compile the mainline kernel with patches
    Code:
    sudo wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pimlie/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh/master/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh -O /usr/sbin/ubuntu-mainline-kernel
    sudo chmod +x /usr/sbin/ubuntu-mainline-kernel
    sudo ubuntu-mainline-kernel -i v5.0.3
    sudo mkdir -p /opt/kernel
    cd /opt/kernel
    sudo wget https://dl.dropbox.com/s/7q6co76m2eizfin/spectre-x360.diff?dl=0 -O spectre-x360.diff
    sudo git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
    cd linux-stable
    sudo git checkout -b spectre v5.0
    sudo git apply ../spectre-x360.diff
    sudo cp -vi /boot/config-5.0.3-050003-generic .config
    sudo make oldconfig
    sudo make -j`nproc` deb-pkg
    sudo ubuntu-mainline-kernel -u v5.0.3
    cd ..
    sudo apt install ./linux-headers-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb ./linux-image-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb
    Option 3) Use my pre-built kernel (based on option 2) <=- Easiest and best option
    Code:
    wget https://dl.dropbox.com/s/3p90k3d6xaythbs/linux-headers-5.0.3%2B_5.0.3%2B-1_amd64.deb?dl=0 -O linux-headers-5.0.3+B_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb
    wget https://dl.dropbox.com/s/k6di26o6kadldne/linux-image-5.0.3%2B_5.0.3%2B-1_amd64.deb?dl=0 -O linux-image-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb
    sudo apt install ./linux-headers-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb ./linux-image-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb
    Touchpad sensitivity
    The synaptic touchpad suffers from the sensitivity issues documented elsewhere. To fix this, toggle the settings that assit with palm detection.
    Code:
    USR=$(whoami)  
    mkdir -p /home/$USR/.config/bin
    echo "ID=\$(xinput -list |grep Touchpad |awk '{print \$6}')" > /home/$USR/.config/bin/synaptic.sh
    echo 'ID=${ID##*=}' >> /home/$USR/.config/bin/synaptic.sh
    echo 'xinput --set-prop "$ID" "Synaptics Finger" 50 90 255' >> /home/$USR/.config/bin/synaptic.sh
    echo 'xinput --set-prop "$ID" "Synaptics Noise Cancellation" 20 20' >> /home/$USR/.config/bin/synaptic.sh
    chmod +x /home/$USR/.config/bin/synaptic.sh
    echo "[Desktop Entry]" > /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "Type=Application" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "Exec=/home/$USR/.config/bin/synaptic.sh" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "Hidden=false" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "NoDisplay=false" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "Name[en_US]=synaptic" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "Name=synaptic" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "Comment[en_US]=" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    echo "Comment=" >> /home/$USR/.config/autostart/synaptic.desktop
    Intel tearing fix
    The Spectre 13" with Intel graphics is susceptible to video tearing. To fix this, use the Tearfix option for Xorg.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir -p /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
    echo 'Section "Device"' |sudo tee /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    echo '  Identifier  "Intel Graphics"' |sudo tee -a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    echo '  Driver      "intel"' |sudo tee -a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    echo '  Option      "TearFree" "true"' |sudo tee -a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    echo 'EndSection' |sudo tee -a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
    *NOTE* One user has reported issues with Chrome menus after this fix. While I do not experience this on my UHD device, your results may vary.

Wifi updates
    Out of the box the v38 firmware is defaulted for Wifi, which is slower and offers lower connection speeds. The below line will download the v43 firmware that works best with our Wifi chipset.
    Code:
    sudo wget https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git/plain/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-43.ucode -O /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-43.ucode

Power management

The Spectre does not auto power manage out of the box, however TLP manages the laptop perfectly.
    Code:
    apt-get install -y tlp powertop

Optional

Enable Hibernation
    Hibernation is included in this guide because of the Spectre's unique need to disable i2c prior to hibernation, and then re-enable post. Hibernation can be implemented one of two ways.

Hibernate option 1) Via GNOME settings

This option works best if you do not have encrypted drives. This is true because when resuming with encrypted drives, you already have to enter a password post-hibernate. If you use this option with encrypted drives, you will be required to enter 2 passwords on resume.
    Code:
    echo "[Re-enable hibernate by default in upower]" |sudo tee /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "Identity=unix-user:*" |sudo tee -a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "Action=org.freedesktop.upower.hibernate" |sudo tee -a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "ResultActive=yes" |sudo tee -a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "" |sudo tee -a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "[Re-enable hibernate by default in logind]" |sudo tee -a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "Identity=unix-user:*" |sudo tee -a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "Action=org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate;org.freedesktop.login1.handle-hibernate-key;org.freedesktop.login1;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-multiple-sessions;org.freedesktop.login1.hibernate-ignore-inhibit" |sudo tee -a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "ResultActive=yes" |sudo tee -a /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/com.ubuntu.enable-hibernate.pkla
    echo "i2c_hid" |sudo tee /etc/suspend-modules.conf
    echo '#!/bin/bash' |sudo tee /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo 'case $1 in' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '    pre)' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '        for mod in $(</etc/suspend-modules.conf); do' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '            modprobe -r $mod' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '        done' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '    ;;' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '    post)' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '        for mod in $(</etc/suspend-modules.conf); do' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '            modprobe $mod' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '        done' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '    ;;' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo 'esac' |sudo tee -a /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    sudo chmod a+x /lib/systemd/system-sleep/suspend-modules
    echo '#!/bin/bash' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo 'case "$1" in' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '    thaw|resume)' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '  sleep 1' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '        XINPUTUSER=$(who | grep :0 | sed 's/\([a-z]*\).*/\1/')' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '        DISPLAY=:0.0 su $XINPUTUSER -c "sh /home/$XINPUTUSER/.config/bin/synaptic.sh"' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '        ;;' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '    *)' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo 'esac' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo 'exit $?' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    sudo chmod a+x /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power power-button-action 'hibernate'
    Hibernate option 2) Via ACPID
    This option works better for encrypted drives because it runs at the system level and bypasses GNOME login. This way you only have to enter one password. The reason to use ACPID instead of GNOME is if you want to be able to have the lid close and go into s2idle while requiring a password at resume (GNOME), while at the same time NOT requiring the gnome password on resume from hibernation.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install pm-tools
    echo 'event=button/power' |sudo tee /etc/acpi/events/power
    echo 'action=/etc/acpi/hibernate.sh "%e"' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/events/power
    echo '#!/bin/bash' |sudo tee /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo 'if [ `whoami` == "root" ]; then' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '  modprobe -r i2c_hid' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '  pm-hibernate' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '  sleep 1' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '  modprobe i2c_hid' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '  sleep 1' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '  XINPUTUSER=$(who | grep :0 | sed "s/\([a-z]*\).*/\1/")' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '  DISPLAY=:0.0 su $XINPUTUSER -c "sh /home/$XINPUTUSER/.config/bin/synaptic.sh"' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo 'else' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo '  echo "Must be root";' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    echo 'fi' |sudo tee -a /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    sudo chmod a+x /etc/acpi/hibernate.sh
    gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.power power-button-action 'nothing'
    Hibernate add-on: Hibernate after s2idle
    Regardless of the option you choose, you can also enable "Hibernate after s2idle" so that when you close the lid the machine will hibernate after a period of time. The below assumes you wish to hibernate after the machine has been in s2idle state for 5400 seconds.
    Code:
    echo '#!/bin/bash' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo 'case "$1" in' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '    thaw|resume)' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '  sleep 1' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '        XINPUTUSER=$(who | grep :0 | sed "s/\([a-z]*\).*/\1/")' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '        DISPLAY=:0.0 su $XINPUTUSER -c "sh /home/$XINPUTUSER/.config/bin/synaptic.sh"' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '    *)' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo 'esac' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo 'exit $?' |sudo tee -a /etc/pm/sleep.d/99_resume
    echo '[Sleep]' |sudo tee /etc/systemd/sleep.conf
    echo 'HibernateDelaySec=5400' |sudo tee -a /etc/systemd/sleep.conf
    sed -i 's/#HandleLidSwitch=suspend/HandleLidSwitch=suspend-then-hibernate/g' /etc/systemd/logind.conf
    Last edited by fmstrat2; March 20th, 2019 at 05:17 AM.

Beans

Re: [Guide] Install Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Spectre x360 13"

Hey Ben,
    Thank you!
    Continuing our discussion, yes, I was able to get the webcam work. Actually, it was working out of the box for me.
    I am facing only three known issues as of now.
    1: Mic = this is the biggest issue for me.
    2: Speakers. Only L & R which are placed below the laptop work. the ones which are placed near the screen, they dont.
    3: Orientation = I care less, very less for this one.

EDIT:
    Code:
    # ./ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh -i v5.0.0Downloading index from kernel.ubuntu.com
    It seems version v5.0.0 is already installed, continue? (y/N) 
    /tmp/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh/ is not writable
    If anyone else is facing the same problem, add
    Code:
     -p .
    Last edited by mayurvirkar; March 9th, 2019 at 12:31 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mayurvirkar View Post
    Hey Ben,
    Thank you!
    Continuing our discussion, yes, I was able to get the webcam work. Actually, it was working out of the box for me.
    I am facing only three known issues as of now.
    1: Mic = this is the biggest issue for me.
    2: Speakers. Only L & R which are placed below the laptop work. the ones which are placed near the screen, they dont.
    3: Orientation = I care less, very less for this one.

EDIT:
    Code:
    # ./ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh -i v5.0.0Downloading index from kernel.ubuntu.com
    It seems version v5.0.0 is already installed, continue? (y/N) 
    /tmp/ubuntu-mainline-kernel.sh/ is not writable
    If anyone else is facing the same problem, add
    Code:
     -p .
    I will continue to investigate the mic and speakers. The orientation should be fixed if you use the mainline kernel, but I believe we discussed that in our email off the patch on the 5.0.0 kernel on launchpad.

Good catch on the script error, it looks like the author uses the same temporary directory name as the script name. I will alter the instructions to keep that from happening (and may do a PR too).

My webcam issue seemed to be frome issuing the patch for the libinput bug. I was still running my device 5.0.0+ kernel and hadnt conpiled in v4l. Easy fix and updating that in the status.

Thanks!

Beans

Two more issues from my dmesg

Code:
    [    0.093158] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve [\_SB.PCI0.XDCI], AE_NOT_FOUND (20180531/dswload2-160)
    [    0.093162] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093164] ACPI Error: Ignore error and continue table load (20180531/psobject-604)
    [    0.093165] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Scope (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093419] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve [\_SB.PCI0.I2C1.TPL1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20180531/dswload2-160)
    [    0.093422] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093423] ACPI Error: Ignore error and continue table load (20180531/psobject-604)
    [    0.093425] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Scope (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093918] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.GPLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180531/dswload2-316)
    [    0.093921] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093922] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Method (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093924] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.TPLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180531/dswload2-316)
    [    0.093926] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093927] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Method (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093929] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.GUPC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180531/dswload2-316)
    [    0.093931] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093932] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Method (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093934] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.TUPC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180531/dswload2-316)
    [    0.093936] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093937] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Method (20180531/psloop-543)
    => No functional issues AFAIK.
    And

Code:
    $ dmesg | grep iwlwifi
    [   35.153965] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
    [   35.156058] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-43.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.156199] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-42.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.156337] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-41.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.156349] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-40.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.156358] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-39.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.159839] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: loaded firmware version 38.c0e03d94.0 op_mode iwlmvm
    [   35.188070] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Detected Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 9560, REV=0x318
    [   35.237939] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: base HW address: 50:76:af:8b:16:90
    [   35.322588] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3 wlp0s20f3: renamed from wlan0
    => Wifi is slow and low network strength

Beans

What kernel are you running for the below errors?

Quote Originally Posted by mayurvirkar View Post
    Two more issues from my dmesg

Code:
    [    0.093158] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve [\_SB.PCI0.XDCI], AE_NOT_FOUND (20180531/dswload2-160)
    [    0.093162] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093164] ACPI Error: Ignore error and continue table load (20180531/psobject-604)
    [    0.093165] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Scope (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093419] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve [\_SB.PCI0.I2C1.TPL1], AE_NOT_FOUND (20180531/dswload2-160)
    [    0.093422] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093423] ACPI Error: Ignore error and continue table load (20180531/psobject-604)
    [    0.093425] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Scope (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093918] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.GPLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180531/dswload2-316)
    [    0.093921] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093922] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Method (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093924] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.TPLD], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180531/dswload2-316)
    [    0.093926] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093927] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Method (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093929] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.GUPC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180531/dswload2-316)
    [    0.093931] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093932] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Method (20180531/psloop-543)
    [    0.093934] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Failure creating [\_SB.PCI0.XHC.RHUB.TUPC], AE_ALREADY_EXISTS (20180531/dswload2-316)
    [    0.093936] ACPI Error: AE_ALREADY_EXISTS, During name lookup/catalog (20180531/psobject-221)
    [    0.093937] ACPI Error: Skip parsing opcode Method (20180531/psloop-543)
    => No functional issues AFAIK.
    These are likely harmless but theoretically could be resulting in something like the lack of s3. The DSDT is out of the range of my knowledge, so this likely needs to be reported upstream (I'm seeing them, too).

And

Code:
    $ dmesg | grep iwlwifi
    [   35.153965] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
    [   35.156058] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-43.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.156199] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-42.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.156337] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-41.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.156349] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-40.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.156358] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Direct firmware load for iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-39.ucode failed with error -2
    [   35.159839] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: loaded firmware version 38.c0e03d94.0 op_mode iwlmvm
    [   35.188070] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: Detected Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless AC 9560, REV=0x318
    [   35.237939] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: base HW address: 50:76:af:8b:16:90
    [   35.322588] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3 wlp0s20f3: renamed from wlan0
    => Wifi is slow and low network strength

Could you try replacing your ucode file with the one mentioned in this kernel bug: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=201813#c24

The direct link to the file is: https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/ke...jf-b0-43.ucode

Beans

To be specific, run this command:

HTML Code:
    sudo wget https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/iwlwifi/linux-firmware.git/plain/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-43.ucode -O /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-9000-pu-b0-jf-b0-43.ucode
    Then reboot. The v43 firmware loaded for me fine, but I haven't done any speed tests. If you confirm speed and signal strength are better, I'll update the guide until that hits the main kernel tree.

Beans

Hello,
    Loading the ucode file did the trick. And yes, the performance has also improved.

Also, about "Intel tearing fix" fix from the initial post, it actually causes problems for me, especially on google chrome.
    Without the fix, everything works fine.

Problems caused by the fix: unclear right-click menu for Google Chrome. (See attached picture.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Interesting. I'll put that in a note, and update for Wifi accordingly. As for top speakers, can you try this:

Code:
    sudo apt install alsa-tools alsa-tools-gui
    hdajackretask
    A window will popup, so:
    1. At the top, change Codec to Realtek ALC285
    2. On the right, check the box for "Show unconnected pins"
    3. For pin 0x14, check "Override"
    4. For pin 0x14, select "Internal speaker (LFE)"
    5. For pin 0x1e, check "Override"
    6. For pin 0x1e, select "Internal speaker"
    7. Click "Apply now"

Then test the speakers?

Beans

Btw, what were your before/after signal strength and speeds?

Beans

Added option in guide for hibernate after s2idle time.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast