Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [Guide] Install Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Spectre x360 13"

Beans

Re: [Guide] Install Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Spectre x360 13"

Added precompiled kernel options.

I haven't focused on the mic because I use a BT headset instead. If the mic is anything like the fingerprint sensor, it's because it uses a new interface that there are no kernel drivers for the subsystem yet. That would be the likely reason behind it not being a higher priority for kernel devs.

Beans

I am on kernel 5.1-rc1
    The reason I can think of is not many users using linux on this laptop. I only know two.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mayurvirkar View Post
    I am on kernel 5.1-rc1
    The reason I can think of is not many users using linux on this laptop. I only know two.
    Yea, I used 5.0.3 as the version for the guide as it is the newest in the stable branch.

It's a catch 22. If people can't find a good guide that says "everything works!" such as this one, people who want to run Linux don't buy the laptop. But then if people don't try, we don't get the guides. So hopefully this sways a few people in their purchase.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mayurvirkar View Post
    I am on kernel 5.1-rc1

Now it's three! I've arrived here trying to get the internal microphone working too. Took a while to get the touchpad right, but now I'm happy with it. Just the mic to go!

Beans

Awesome!
    Yes, mic is the biggest problem for me as well.
    Btw, you got all four speakers working?
    I am on 5.1-rc2 and the dmesg is still flooded.

Beans

Beans

Please add support to: https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=203129
    Lets help them fix this issue

Beans

This worked on an old HP specte x360:
    Install pulseAudio volume control
    Code:
    sudo apt install pavucontrol
    Go to input device tab and select "Main Microphone (unplugged)" from the drop down menu

Beans

Hello from the fourth (or fifth?) guy to use Ubuntu on the Spectre!

I've got most of my setup working but the mic remains a problem, along with hibernation. After invoking hibernation, the computer doesn't resume but boots when power button is pressed.

In pavucontrol, under input devices there's only the already-chosen option "Microphone (unplugged)" under Built-In Audio Analog Stereo. (And, Monitor of built-in analog stereo which is just a looper of the audio out)

Otherwise, my setup involves i3-wm which required quite a bit fiddling to get things scaled properly but atm practically everything works. Using the i3-gnome in order to get many programs to scale with a single setting. Spotify remains a problem though, it's UI flickering badly. For some reason there is no option to disable hardware acceleration in the GUI and upon first googling I didn't find a way to set it from terminal.

P.S. I have to say that betterlockscreen looks just amazing with the UHD screen

Beans

Unhappy Re: [Guide] Install Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Spectre x360 13"

Hey all! Thanks for the guide. I'm trying for number 6?

I've gotten hung up installing the headers. I can't make any sense of this so hopefully someone can weigh in.

I tried option 2 and 3 for the kernal. In both instances I get stuck on the final line:
    Code:
    sudo apt install ./linux-headers-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb ./linux-image-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb
    Output
    Code:
    Reading package lists... Done
    E: Unsupported file ./linux-headers-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb given on commandline
    E: Unsupported file ./linux-image-5.0.3+_5.0.3+-1_amd64.deb given on commandline
    Suggestions?

Update:

The headers were downloaded to the home folder. Ugh.

Another question. Has anyone had problems with their camera. Testing it with Cheese produced a heavily fragmented flashing image that produced a blank picture.
    Last edited by brandonhowlett; August 30th, 2019 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Found solution

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast