Thread: Wifi incredibly slow (fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS on Samsung T5 500mb)

Beans

Wifi incredibly slow (fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS on Samsung T5 500mb)

Edit 2: I am now very confident this is a hotspot issue. I got a text yesterday saying hotspot tethering would be limited to 128kbps which sounds awfully close to the download and upload speeds I'm experiencing. Ignored it because I thought it was going to be an ad...haaaah. Anyway, may update tomorrow when speed is back to normal.

Hey y'all!

I'm having some issues with my wifi on a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS on my Samsung T5 external SSD. A little background info:

I installed this OS yesterday using an installation USB that I created based on instructions from Ubuntu's website. Everything aside from the wifi is working well! I used the additional drivers tab in software and updates to install the Broadcom Limited BCM43142 892.11b/g/n (Wireless 1704 802.11n + BT4.0) drivers yesterday as well, via ethernet. The internet worked well on ethernet, and initially, it worked well on wifi as well.

I have a hunch that some sort of update is causing the issue. According to Google's internet speed test, my download and upload speeds are ~0.1Mbps at best :/ Additionally, the wifi on my initial, old installation on my internal hard drive works fine.

I know a bit about how to get around a Linux-based environment (including using the terminal), but I am not super familiar with networking. Let me know what you want me to do to try and solve this issue. Thanks so much!
    Last edited by annikajusino; November 15th, 2019 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Edit 2: Confident that it's a hotspot issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Wifi incredibly slow (fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS on Samsung T5 500mb)

Please run the wireless script from the sticky thread and show the outputs