Thread: Newbie seeks Linux programming mentor.

Beans

Newbie seeks Linux programming mentor.

Hi all,

I am teacher who would like to use my Linux OS instead of Windows or Mac.
    The only thing holding me back is being able to print.
    The school uses a print server (I hope my terminology is right) called Uni-flow made by NTware for Canon.
    But a Linux version doesn't exist.
    I have been quoted $325-625AUD for a solution. Crikey.

But I thought that if I had access to the apple version of the app, and can read/access the script, could I try to write a linux version based on it?
    I have no knowledge of programming, but am interested in seeing if it is possible, and learning along the way.
    I'm also happy to ditch the idea, if more experienced people here tell me it's a waste of time.

So I guess my first question is: Is it possible to write a linux app based on an apple one?

Thanks for reading.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Newbie seeks Linux programming mentor.

Hi and welcome to the forum. You posted to a section of the forum (Ubuntu Dev Link Forum) that is so neglected I had to clear a path through the cobwebs to move your post. It wasn't really the best place anyway. I've moved this to Ubuntu, Linux & OS Chat where forum members should be able to address your general questions about transitioning to a Linux-based OS, preferably Ubuntu!

As this is a chat area, it's really for discussing general points. If, as a result of discussion, you have some specific technical questions to ask, please do start a support thread in a support area of the forum.

Good luck!
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by donniedureau View Post
    Hi all,

I am teacher who would like to use my Linux OS instead of Windows or Mac.
    The only thing holding me back is being able to print.
    The school uses a print server (I hope my terminology is right) called Uni-flow made by NTware for Canon.
    But a Linux version doesn't exist.
    I have been quoted $325-625AUD for a solution. Crikey.

But I thought that if I had access to the apple version of the app, and can read/access the script, could I try to write a linux version based on it?
    I have no knowledge of programming, but am interested in seeing if it is possible, and learning along the way.
    I'm also happy to ditch the idea, if more experienced people here tell me it's a waste of time.

So I guess my first question is: Is it possible to write a linux app based on an apple one?

Thanks for reading.
    it's a waste of time. what you need are linux drivers for the printer.

you would have to write them form scratch and reverse engineer them. MacOS is not linux. it is also not based on linux. perhaps the closes to MacOS is BSD or more accurately the DarwinOS. even if you could get access to mac driver, they would likely be in binary code which means you don't have the source code to do any changes on it.

1. options would be get a cannon driver and connect to printer directly over the network.
    2. if that is no possible use windows in virtualbox or similar to do the printing.
    3. if that is ridiculous, then consider the environment and don't print.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

There might be ways to connect to it over the network and not need a driver. Does it support Postscript, for instance? What happens if you visit http://localhost:631/ and choose Administration > Find New Printers? Does it see the device?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

This says it has Linux & network print drivers.
    https://canyonfalls.net/wp-content/u...S_Brochure.pdf
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

You might be able to easily setup printing via Google Cloud Print from the Chrome Browser.
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

You might be able to configure CUPS to use a generic PCL driver, or a Windows printer via Samba.

Here is a link written in German on Uniflow Linux Installation CUPS 1/ 6
    https://www.zid.tuwien.ac.at/fileadm...sanleitung.pdf

Google has a translation utility that will translate it to English.
    Last edited by him610; March 10th, 2019 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Added a link to installation instructions
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Thanks to all for these suggestions! Very much appreciated.
    Am going to forget about creating an app from scratch and try the cloud option.
    Again, thanks to all.