Thread: Arrow keys don't work in gnome 3 with IntelliJ. Will switching to Unity solve this?

Beans

Arrow keys don't work in gnome 3 with IntelliJ. Will switching to Unity solve this?

I just recently started using Ubuntu 18.04.2 with the gnome 3 desktop after using Ubuntu 16.04 with Unity for 2 years. There are a number of things I don't like about gnome 3:

The arrow keys on the number pad don't work on IntelliJ. (They do work in Atom, however.)
    The Activity Bar will only show on one monitor. This is a real problem when I use TeamViewer because I can't start application unless I switch to the one monitor that has the Activity Bar.
    The date/time display in the top bar is hard to configure and it displays differently on my 3 monitors.

According to https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...c-beaver-linux it is simple to switch back to the Unity desktop, which had none of these problems on Ubuntu 16.04. Will switching to Unity solve the key binding problem on IntelliJ? (I don't remember having to play with the key mapping for IntelliJ on Ubuntu 16.04, but maybe I did and just forgot about it.) I can live with the second and third problems, but the arrow keys have to work in IntelliJ.

If I do switch Unity can I switch back?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Arrow keys don't work in gnome 3 with IntelliJ. Will switching to Unity solve th

If I do switch Unity can I switch back?
    Yes
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: Arrow keys don't work in gnome 3 with IntelliJ. Will switching to Unity solve th

How do I restore gnome 3? Installing Unity has left my laptop in an unusable state. Clicking on any icon on the quicklaunch bar leaves the mouse in a wait state and I cannot do anything more. I have to manually power off my laptop.

Ubuntu 18 is looking like a train wreck of a distro.

Beans

Uninstall and purge instructions for Unity can be found here:

https://itsfoss.com/use-unity-ubuntu-17-10/

Getting rid of Unity saved my laptop. It looks like I'm stuck with gnome 3 for the time being.