Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Recruiting people to start the "Specto" project

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Recruiting people to start the "Specto" project

Hi everyone!

I'd like to help out with the project. I don't have much programming experience (just played around with Python for a couple weeks a while back), but I'll be learning Java next semester at school.

Actually, I'm pretty new to the whole Linux/OSS thing, but I'm really excited about all of it and want to learn how I can help out. I'm not sure what I'd be able to do, but if there's stuff like testing and checking for bugs that I can help with, I'd love to get involved.
    He also installed Finux, a free UNIX operating system created by Finns, almost as a way of proclaiming to the rest of the world "this is how weird we are," and distributed throughout the world on the Net.

-- Neal Stephenson, in Cryptonomicon

Beans

Hi Kasanax, I'm happy to hear that don't worry, I'm a beginner too, and every hand is welcome. It would be even better if you knew how to handle graphical interfaces with pygtk since I'm a little nervous about that...

Currently, we have a somewhat working web page watcher, however what severely lacks for now is:
    - saving preferences
    - displaying notifications in a gui... well that basically means slapping the gui and the backend together... but it depends on #1, which also depends on #2, vicious cycle

Maybe you could try to catch me on #specto as "nekohayo", but my IRC presence is unpredictable, you can further reach us on the mailing lists.

I'm glad to see your interest, I mean it's easy to help out too, because this is my first project, and anything, including code, comments and suggestions, will help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

yo.. i downloaded it from the cvs but i cant find that SimpleApp stuff.. so i was unable to see it..

Can you tell me the deps please?

Beans

Yes, there is a little problem that we aim to solve today or very soon: we have a difference between the cvs version that Pascal wanted to "cleanup" and the working folder I have, the two are not fully merged so there are things missing in CVS

The only thing I can do at the moment if you want to play with this is offer you a tarball from my computer Specto.py is a little bit useless (playing with the GUI), watch_raw.py and watch_rss.py are the two watches we have now (and we would need to clean them up a little).
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Wow. This program rocks. Just discovered it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Smile Re: Recruiting people to start the "Specto" project

Quote Originally Posted by Vadi View Post
    Wow. This program rocks. Just discovered it.
    And now we are finishing our new awesome version

(If you can not wait you could try the development branch in my sig)
    Watch the universe (and websites, mails, files, network ports, facebook, bzr branches, Google Wave,...) with Specto: http://specto.sourceforge.net
    Specto stable bzr ppa

Beans
    Distro

Wow, this looks very cool. I'm a bit busy at the moment but once things have settled down a little I'd like to lend a hand.

*bookmarked the sourceforge page*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Wow. Finally a useful resurrection of a 2-3 year old thread.
    Programming is an art. Learn it. Live it. Love it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Sinkingships7 View Post
    Wow. Finally a useful resurrection of a 2-3 year old thread.
    Ain't nothin wrong with that If he hadn't bumped it I would never have known about it.

Beans

If you feel like it, please test out the development version (at the time of writing this, it is more featureful and more reliable than the 0.2 version!), and perhaps translate it into your own language! (see: http://groups.google.com/group/spect...4e10df26f49c33 )

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123