Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting people to start the "Specto" project

Beans

Smile Recruiting people to start the "Specto" project

Hi folks, I'm starting up a project which, I think, might interest some of you the thing is that we are only beginning, so we need to get some initial developpers to give opinions, "prepare the terrain", or should I say, help build the foundation for it. (There is no code yet)

It is planned to be done in Python. Please have a look at the website here:
    http://specto.sourceforge.net

I, myself, have no programming skills whatsoever, I'm only a designer, the project manager, and the weird kid that had that idea since I don't want to clutter that topic, I will not paste a complete description of the software (which is called Specto), but instead give a small exerpt:
    Specto is an “event notifier” for Linux, watching for every event that happens in real time and reports what happened while you were out (chat, website updates, emails, etc)
    I have setup the sourceforge project, the project page, the blog and wiki, and I'm now entering the recruiting phase. So I thought I might post here first, in my favorite Linux community . Feedback is much appreciated! ^^ besides, if you got other suggestions as to "how to admin it all", say 'em! I'm totally new to this, and willing to learn.

Even if you don't want to get involved, you may share your ideas and questions here. They're important.
    Last edited by kiddo; April 6th, 2005 at 12:01 AM.

Beans

Re: Recruiting people to start the "Specto" project

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo
    Hi folks, I'm starting up a project which, I think, might interest some of you the thing is that we are only beginning, so we need to get some initial developpers to give opinions, "prepare the terrain", or should I say, help build the foundation for it. (There is no code yet)

It is planned to be done in Python. Please have a look at the website here:
    http://specto.sourceforge.net

I, myself, have no programming skills whatsoever, I'm only a designer, the project manager, and the weird kid that had that idea since I don't want to clutter that topic, I will not paste a complete description of the software (which is called Specto), but instead give a small exerpt:

I have setup the sourceforge project, the project page, the blog and wiki, and I'm now entering the recruiting phase. So I thought I might post here first, in my favorite Linux community . Feedback is much appreciated! ^^ besides, if you got other suggestions as to "how to admin it all", say 'em! I'm totally new to this, and willing to learn.

Even if you don't want to get involved, you may share your ideas and questions here. They're important.
    I could lend a hand here and there...
    I got some experience with python (wrote severall small applications in it) (pygtk and some threading stuff).

But I am very busy, so don't expect me to be a full time coder.. but I could test/bughunt?

if you want me to help mail me: qball@qballcow.nl

Beans

Hello,
    Very nice idea.....
    Alas I'm not good enough to be a developer and can't spend enough of my spare time to be productive, but will CERTAINLY be a tester when something starts to appear....
    Good Luck
    John

Beans

Seeing as I'm not working on any major programs, and I like your idea, and your designs, I wouldn't mind giving a hand. I've been using Python for a few months, but been programming in other languages & markup's for over a year.

My SourceForge ID is daejuanj
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 5.10

I'd like to get in on this as well. I must admit I don't know python, but being experienced in Java, C++, and Ruby, I daresay I'll pick it up fairly quickly.

I guess, I've always wanted an app like this too. Especially the part about forum responses Perhaps that's not a very good reason to join a project, but meh. My sourceforge Id is hikaru79 , sign me up and drop me a line at adrianp@cogeco.ca . I'll do my best!
    I seem to have discovered a truly remarkable proof for Fermat's Last Theorem, which this siggie is too small to contain.

Beans

Looks really nice! I'm not a programmer, but i would like to test this thingy.
    Linux user #383892

(\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hikaru79
    I'd like to get in on this as well. I must admit I don't know python, but being experienced in Java, C++, and Ruby, I daresay I'll pick it up fairly quickly.

I guess, I've always wanted an app like this too. Especially the part about forum responses Perhaps that's not a very good reason to join a project, but meh. My sourceforge Id is hikaru79 , sign me up and drop me a line at adrianp@cogeco.ca . I'll do my best!
    You should feel right at home with Python, it is VERY similar to Ruby.
    CloudRck.com - Host on CloudRck
    I sponsor open source projects and support users of such technologies. PM for details

Beans

Although I cannot help right now (new to Python and caught up in project 'son'), this is really a very cool idea!
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Hi hi, it is very nice to have this kind of feedback and interest (I have posted something similar in linuxquestions, and the thread went in a C vs Python flamewar, lmao)

So for now I'm adding you guys to the SF project, please join #specto on freenode (since this needs to be well forethought). The more the merrier

Beans

I would love to help this project, it seems like a very good idea! I have programmed Python for a few months, but i have longer experience with other languages like Delphi and PHP. What about setting up a IRC meeting day so everybody can discuss the project?

Edit: Oh, and my sourceforge name is "trygvebw".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast