Thread: Need to merge my accounts or delete one of my accounts.

wnmnkh2 is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Need to merge my accounts or delete one of my accounts.

Hi, probably something wrong has happened during the ubuntu one account creation, but something has gone wrong and I cannot retake/relog into my original account, wnmnkh. Instead the system created another account called 'wnmnkh2'.

It seems this account, 'wnmnkh2' was created because somehow the forum system could not connect my personal info to the old account. Both account should had used same email address.

Is it possible to delete this 'wnmnkh2' account and allow me to use 'wnmnkh' instead, or is it possible to merge 'wnmnkh' and 'wnmnkh2' account?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Need to merge my accounts or delete one of my accounts.

Quote Originally Posted by wnmnkh2 View Post
    It seems this account, 'wnmnkh2' was created because somehow the forum system could not connect my personal info to the old account. Both account should had used same email address.
    No. The wnmnkh2 account was created because you used a different email in your Ubuntu One account from that registered to the wnmnkh account. The wnmnkh account was last logged into on 25 November 2012, before the introduction of Ubuntu One SSO login in this forum. The wnmnkh forum account has no Ubuntu One SSO account linked to it.

Both the wnmnkh and wnmnkh2 accounts have gmail addresses, but they are different, of course.

If you can remember the gmail address that you used to create the wnmnkh account back in 2007, our best course of action would be to:

1. Change the preferred email address in your Ubuntu One account to the email associated with the wnmnkh account.
    2. Post back here to confirm that you have done that.
    3. I or another admin will then disassociate the wnmnkh2 forum account from Ubuntu One.
    4. If you have correctly identified the email address you need to set as preferred in Ubuntu One, the next time you log in, the system will link the older wnmnkh account with your Ubuntu One account, and log you into wnmnkh.

If you can't remember or are unsure what the earlier email is, or if you do remember but the email address is now no longer active, then post back and we'll find another way.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    No. The wnmnkh2 account was created because you used a different email in your Ubuntu One account from that registered to the wnmnkh account. The wnmnkh account was last logged into on 25 November 2012, before the introduction of Ubuntu One SSO login in this forum. The wnmnkh forum account has no Ubuntu One SSO account linked to it.

Both the wnmnkh and wnmnkh2 accounts have gmail addresses, but they are different, of course.

If you can remember the gmail address that you used to create the wnmnkh account back in 2007, our best course of action would be to:

1. Change the preferred email address in your Ubuntu One account to the email associated with the wnmnkh account.
    2. Post back here to confirm that you have done that.
    3. I or another admin will then disassociate the wnmnkh2 forum account from Ubuntu One.
    4. If you have correctly identified the email address you need to set as preferred in Ubuntu One, the next time you log in, the system will link the older wnmnkh account with your Ubuntu One account, and log you into wnmnkh.

If you can't remember or are unsure what the earlier email is, or if you do remember but the email address is now no longer active, then post back and we'll find another way.

I am sorry for the very late response. For some reason notification was either disabled or never arrived.

That is very weird. I only have two gmail addresses, but the second one is created around 2012, so it just may not be the same email address.

Just in case I changed the default email address as the second one for my Ubuntu One account, please check it.

Otherwise, I don't have another gmail account. Highly likely I may have misspelled my first email address if that is the case.

....now to think about it, a long time ago, there was a data breach on this forum, right? It may have been something to do with it...

Beans

So, very weird.

The first email address should be correct. It was the one I used to create the account at 2007. I searched the my first gmail address and I found "Welcome to Ubuntu Forums!" back in 2007.

Then, the security breach happened on 2013 and I had to access the forum via Ubuntu One account. It seems when I was making Ubuntu One account, I put the second gmail address instead of first gmail address, creating wnmnkh2 account.

Because After Ubuntu One creation I got notifications from my second gmail address from that on.

It seems I actually sent a private message to bapoumba about this issue, and bapoumba replied to me that I should post that on Resolution Centre in 2013... but it seems I was completely unaware of his reply.

I am sorry. It was very long time ago now. I should had gotten bapoumba's message and solved this issue right away.

Beans

I am not sure, maybe it was like that....

1) At first I created the account with the first gmail address.
    2) At some time passed I changed the emaill address associnated with the first account with the second gmail address.
    3) When I create the SSO I put the first gmail address, thus first account was not linked.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I am sorry for the very late response. For some reason notification was either disabled or never arrived.
    You have not defined a thread subscription mode in your profile so, unless you subscribe to a thread manually, you will not get notifications of replies.

Just in case I changed the default email address as the second one for my Ubuntu One account, please check it.
    We do not administer Ubuntu One. If you wish to check what email address(es) you have registered to your Ubuntu account, go to https://login.ubuntu.com/ and click on the manage email addresses link.

Otherwise, I don't have another gmail account. Highly likely I may have misspelled my first email address if that is the case.
    Not at all likely. Before SSO login to the forum, you had to activate your forum account by responding to the verification email the forum software sent you. After the start of SSO login, you would have had a similar verification process with Ubuntu One. If you had misspelled your email address, the verification email would have been sent to a non-existent address and you wouldn’t have been able to use whichever account you were trying to activate.

....now to think about it, a long time ago, there was a data breach on this forum, right? It may have been something to do with it...
    Absolutely nothing to do with it. As I said before, your problem stems entirely and simply from using two different email addresses.

I am not sure, maybe it was like that....

1) At first I created the account with the first gmail address.
    2) At some time passed I changed the emaill address associnated with the first account with the second gmail address.
    3) When I create the SSO I put the first gmail address, thus first account was not linked.
    3 is wrong. So that you don’t have to speculate any further, let me describe what appears to have gone on:

In 2007, before the introduction of SSO you created a forum account named wnmnkh (if that was you who created the wnmnkh account) using what I shall refer to as email address A. Since then you have not changed that email address on the wnmnkh account.

In September 2013, you logged into the forum from Ubuntu One. At the moment you logged in, your Ubuntu One preferred email address was what I shall refer to as email address B. I don’t know whether you have used any different email addresses in your Ubuntu One account before or since then – as I said, we do not administer Ubuntu One. Since the forum software could not find a match in the forum database for email address B, the system created a new forum account named wnmnkh2. (For an explanation of the affixed 2 in the username, see this sticky: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2230004 .

Please be aware that although the initial link between the Ubuntu One account and forum account is made on the basis of the email address, the actual link is your Ubuntu One openID, which is held in your profile in a way that is only accessible by forum admins. Once that link – by openID – is made between a forum account and an Ubuntu One account, it can only be unlinked by a forum admin, or by a change of openID. That means that you can change your email in either or both of your forum and Ubuntu One accounts so that the emails no longer match, and that will not break the link between the two accounts.

Be that as it all may if, as I suspect, you have now recalled the email address used to create the wnmnkh account and if it is still active, I have already outlined the best course of action in post #2. Can you do that?
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 17.10 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Yes, I already had changed the address to that email address.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hmm. That is less precise than I would have liked.

I'll assume that you mean that you have set the email address registered to the older wnmnkh forum account as the preferred email address in your Ubuntu One account. Accordingly, I have removed the openID link from the wnmnkh2 account. This means that so long as you have indeed set the correct email address as preferred in your Ubuntu One account, the next time you log into the forum with your Ubuntu One account, you will do so into the wnmnkh account.

Log out from wnmnkh2, and then log in again. If you return as wnmnkh2 or find yourself in a third forum account, then the email address in Ubuntu One is wrong. But let's see what happens.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Hmm. That is less precise than I would have liked.

I'll assume that you mean that you have set the email address registered to the older wnmnkh forum account as the preferred email address in your Ubuntu One account. Accordingly, I have removed the openID link from the wnmnkh2 account. This means that so long as you have indeed set the correct email address as preferred in your Ubuntu One account, the next time you log into the forum with your Ubuntu One account, you will do so into the wnmnkh account.

Log out from wnmnkh2, and then log in again. If you return as wnmnkh2 or find yourself in a third forum account, then the email address in Ubuntu One is wrong. But let's see what happens.

Yes, that's what I meant, but then I am back to this wnmnkh2 account again. Sigh.

I believe something has gone wrong with the creation of Ubuntu One account when I first made it. I think initially when I made Ubuntu One account with wrong email address, and at some point I changed my email back to the correct address but it was already linked to the wnmnkh2 account.

Can you remove openID link from wnmnkh2 account again? I will try roll back to my first email address on my Ubuntu One account and will relog again. Thank you for helping me out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I believe something has gone wrong with the creation of Ubuntu One account when I first made it. I think initially when I made Ubuntu One account with wrong email address, and at some point I changed my email back to the correct address but it was already linked to the wnmnkh2 account.
    The only thing that is "going wrong" is setting the wrong email as preferred in Ubuntu One prior to logging into the forum.

I have removed the openID from the wnmnkh2 account again.